The ISAE Market Services Survey: Methodological Upgrading, Survey Reliability, First Empirical Results
AbstractWithin the E.U. Harmonised project, ISAE has been carrying out the quarterly services survey for Italy, since 1992, on a panel of about 1,000 business firms operating in the service sector. On E.U. suggestion, since the first quarter of 1998, the survey has been based on an updated sample, so as to enlarge the sectoral and information coverage. Starting from January 2003, the survey has been deeply revised and enlarged according to the Commission recommendations so as to cover the whole Market Service sector (Nace Rev.1.1 Sections H, I, J, K, part of O, with different degrees of detail). The survey is now based a sample of over 2,100 firms, stratified both by sector of activity (like already done since 1998) and geographic partitions; the units’ allocation to strata is optimal in the Neyman sense, with some integrations to deal with the pre-exiting panel and in order to include the most important Italian firms belonging to the target sectors. The aim of this paper is discussing the quality of the survey in terms of transparency and reliability. The methodological upgrading of the sampling design is hereafter discussed as well as each step of the new procedure. To begin with, the analysis of the Italian service sector is presented, which enables to set the necessary assumption in determining the survey frame, the selection of sampling units and the weighting system. The theoretical sampling design is thus explained with reference to sampling unit, stratification variables, units’ allocation to strata, as well as the various step of the whole procedure in terms of statistical treatment of non responses, weighting, aggregation steps sampling and non-sampling errors. Furthermore, using the first year of information collected, the remarkable gain in precision of the new sample is analysed, together with its reliability in terms of accuracy of estimates. The analyses of the design effect shows that, also when dealing with qualitative series, the Neyman allocation to strata considerably improves the precision of estimates in comparison both to the stratified proportional design and to the simple random one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 71.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Services; business tendency surveys; sampling design; sampling techniques; design effect.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malgarini, Marco & Margani, Patrizia & Martelli, Bianca Maria, 2005.
"Re-engineering the ISAE manufacturing survey,"
42440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martelli, Bianca Maria, 1998.
"Le Inchieste Congiunturali dell'ISCO: aspetti metodologici; Chapter 1 of: Le inchieste dell'ISCO come strumento di analisi della congiuntura economica
[The ISCO short term surveys: methodological a," MPRA Paper 16331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tatiana Cesaroni & Marco Malgarini & Gaia Rocchetti, 2005. "L'inchiesta ISAE sugli investimenti delle imprese manifatturiere ed estrattive: aspetti metodologici e risultati," ISAE Working Papers 50, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Luciana Crosilla, 2006. "The seasonality of ISAE business and consumer surveys: methodological aspects and empirical evidence," ISAE Working Papers 68, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.