The seasonality of ISAE business and consumer surveys: methodological aspects and empirical evidence
AbstractThe aim of this work is to explain and assess the results of the application of the TRAMO-SEATS seasonal adjustment method on the data of the ISAE manufacturing business and consumer surveys. In particular, the study begins by focusing on the description of some of the typical problems of the seasonal adjustment of qualitative series, in relation to the operational choices to be made when applying the procedure ( the \lquote trading day effect\rquote , logarithmic transformation of the series, choice of a temporal interval etc ) making the choices explicit for the series of analysis. Subsequently, the characteristics of the seasonal component of the series will be analysed; special attention is given to the identification of the non-stationary seasonality of each series by using a procedure which consists in the extension of a test of the Dickey-Fuller kind to verify the unit roots at the seasonal frequencies. Later, on the basis of the considerations which have been made and on the results which have been previously obtained, the models which have been obtained applying Tramo-Seats will then be described highlighting the flexibility of the method in grasping the stochastic characteristics of the seasonality of the series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 68.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
Seasonal adjustment; ARIMA models; Survey; Tramo-Seats;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Seasonal Outliers in Time Series," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9915, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jeffrey A. Miron, 1990.
"The Economics of Seasonal Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
3522, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Bruno & Claudio Lupi, 2001.
"Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning Points,"
- Giancarlo Bruno & Claudio Lupi, 2004. "Forecasting industrial production and the early detection of turning points," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 647-671, 09.
- Bruno, Giancarlo & Lupi, Claudio, 2003. "Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning Points," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03004, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Bruno Giancarlo & Lupi Claudio, 2001. "Forecasting Industrial Production and the Early Detection of Turning POints," ISAE Working Papers 20, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malgarini, Marco & Margani, Patrizia, 2005.
"Psychology, consumer sentiment and household expenditures: a disaggregated analysis,"
42443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Malgarini & Patrizia Margani, 2005. "Psychology, consumer sentiment and household expenditures: a disaggregated analysis," ISAE Working Papers 58, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Bianca Maria Martelli & Gaia Rocchetti, 2006. "The ISAE Market Services Survey: Methodological Upgrading, Survey Reliability, First Empirical Results," ISAE Working Papers 71, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Martelli, Bianca Maria, 1998.
"Le Inchieste Congiunturali dell'ISCO: aspetti metodologici; Chapter 1 of: Le inchieste dell'ISCO come strumento di analisi della congiuntura economica
[The ISCO short term surveys: methodological a," MPRA Paper 16331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paap, Richard & Franses, Philip Hans & Hoek, Henk, 1997. "Mean shifts, unit roots and forecasting seasonal time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 357-368, September.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1991. "Seasonality, non-stationarity and the forecasting of monthly time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 199-208, August.
- Cubadda, G. & Sabbatini, R., 1997. "The Seasonality of the Italian Cost-of-Living Index," Papers 313, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Bruno Giancarlo & Edoardo Otranto, 2001. "The Choice of Time Interval in Seasonal Adjustment: Characterization and Tools," ISAE Working Papers 21, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giancarlo Bruno, 2001. "Seasonal Adjustment of Italian Industrial Production Index using Tramo-Seats," ISAE Working Papers 18, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1996. "Periodicity and Stochastic Trends in Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774549.
- D'Elia, Enrico, 1991.
"La quantificazione dei risultati dei sondaggi congiunturali: un confronto tra procedure
[Quantifying the results of tendency surveys: a comparison among different procedures]," MPRA Paper 16434, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fok, D. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Paap, R., 2005. "Performance of Seasonal Adjustment Procedures: Simulation and Empirical Results," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2005-30, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Tatiana Cesaroni & Marco Malgarini & Gaia Rocchetti, 2005. "L'inchiesta ISAE sugli investimenti delle imprese manifatturiere ed estrattive: aspetti metodologici e risultati," ISAE Working Papers 50, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2000. "An Application of TRAMO-SEATS: Changes in Seasonality and Current Trend-Cycle Assessment: the German Retail Trade Turnover Series," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0011, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.