On the Dynamics of Exports and FDI: The Spanish Internationalization Process
AbstractThis paper provides further insights into the dynamics of exports and outward foreign direct investment (FDI) flows in Spain from a time-series approach. The contribution of the paper is twofold: i) the existence of either substitution or a complementary relationship between Spanish outward investments and exports is empirically tested using a multivariate cointegrated model (VECM). The evolution in exchange flows (1993-2008) and country-specific variables (such as world demand - including Spain’s main recently growing foreign markets - for trade flows and the relative price of exports in order to proxy new global competitors) are taken into account for the first time. And ii) the growth in the trade of services in recent decades leads us to test a specific causality relationship by disaggregating between goods and services flows. Our results provide evidence of a positive (Granger) causality relationship running from FDI to exports of goods (stronger) and to exports of services (weaker) in the long run, the complementarity relation of which is consistent with vertical FDI strategies. In the short run, however, only exports of goods are affected (positively) by FDIs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics in its series IREA Working Papers with number 201010.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision: Jul 2010
Foreign Direct Investment; Exports; Granger-Causality. JEL classification:F21; F40;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Gra - Financial Economics - - - - -
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2010-07-31 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2010-07-31 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Artís, Manuel & Ramos, Raul & Surinach, Jordi, 2007.
"Job Losses, Outsourcing and Relocation: Empirical Evidence Using Microdata,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2978, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manuel Artís & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006. "Job losses, outsourcing and relocation: Empirical evidence using microdata," Working Papers CREAP2006-05, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2006.
- Manuel Artis & Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach, 2006. "Job losses, outsourcing and relocation, empirical evidence using microdata," IREA Working Papers 200601, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Peter Claeys & Fabio Manca, 2011.
"A missing spatial link in institutional quality,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 223-227.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Ksenia Kulchycky, 1989.
"U.S. and Swedish Direct Investment and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
2390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raul Ramos & Jordi Suriñach & Manuel Artís, 2009. "La efectividad de las políticas activas de mercado de trabajo para luchar contra el paro. La experiencia de Cataluña," IREA Working Papers 200919, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.