Has concentration evolved similarly in manufacturing and services? A sensitivity analysis
AbstractOur first objective is to compare the degree of concentration in manufacturing and services, with special emphasis on its evolution in these two sectors, using a sensitivity analysis for different concentration indices and different geographic units of analysis: municipalities and local labour systems of Catalonia in 1991 and 2001. Most concentration measures fail to consider the space in which a particular municipality is located. Our second objective is to overcome this problem by applying two different techniques: by using a clustering measure, and by analysing whether the location quotients computed for each municipality and sector present some kind of spatial autocorrelation process. We take special account of the differences in patterns of concentration according to the technological level of the sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics in its series IREA Working Papers with number 200708.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision: Apr 2007
Geographic concentration; Manufacturing; Services; Local Labour Systems; Spatial Econometrics.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2007-05-12 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2007-05-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Desmet, Klaus & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2006.
"Employment concentration across U.S. counties,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 482-509, July.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Klaus Desmet, 2003. "Employment Concentration across US Counties," Economics Series Working Papers 180, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Desmet, Klaus & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2004. "Employment Concentration Across US Counties," CEPR Discussion Papers 4689, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.