Business R&D in SMEs
AbstractThis report discusses business R&D in SMEs in the light of a systematic review of publicly available information on industrial R&D, its common trends and related emerging issues. A number of factors towards better understanding of SME trajectories, specifics in terms of their R&D activities, and the attendant main challenges of SMEs are thus examined along their main boundaries. Company size, the life cycle stage of individual firms, the lack of entrepreneurial spirit in the EU, the lack of access to finance in Europe compared to the US, limited capabilities of SMEs, internationalisation/globalisation effects, intellectual property rights, and the effect of administrative burdens are considered in particular. In general, achieving a suitable support mix for business R&D in SMEs and embedding it in local, regional, national and European research and innovation systems remains an open but crucial question on the way towards achieving the Lisbon objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre in its series JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation with number 2009-7.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
business R&D; SMEs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-04-17 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2010-04-17 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2010-04-17 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2010-04-17 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2010-04-17 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paterno-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2012.
"Does size or age of innovative firms affect their growth persistence? Evidence from a panel of innovative Spanish firms,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers
JRC74052, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre, revised Sep 2012.
- Daria Ciriaci & Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Peter Voigt, 2012. "Does size or age of innovative firms affect their growth persistence? -Evidence from a panel of innovative Spanish firms-," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2012-03, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Castillo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.