L’intégration intra-régionale des marchés boursiers de l’Europe du sudest : une analyse multivariée
AbstractThis article investigates the dynamics of regional financial integration and its determinants in an international setting. We test a conditional version of the international capital asset pricing model (ICAPM) accounting for the deviations from purchasing power parity (PPP) as well as temporal variations in both regional and local sources of risk. Using data from four major countries of the Southeast Europe (Czech Republic, Greece, Poland, and Romania), our results support the validity of ICAPM and indicate that the risk is internationally priced. Furthermore, we show that changes in the degree of regional stock market integration are explained principally by trade openness and the level of stock market development whatever the measure of currency risk. Finally, as expected, the degree of stock market integration varies considerably over time and from one market to another. As intense market integration induces both benefits and risks, our findings should have significant implications for economic policies and market regulations in emerging, frontier-emerging and transition countries, particularly for countries from the same region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-219.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 10 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
ICAPM; market integration; exchange rate risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Frédéric Teulon, 2013.
"Further evidence on the determinants of regional stock market integration in Latin America,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(3), pages 397-413, December.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Further evidence on the determinants of regional stock market integration in Latin America," Working Papers 2014-415, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.