Innovation and cognitive distance within a community of practice: an agent-based model
AbstractThe development of New Information and Communication Technologies (NICT) in particular brought considerable changes in the management of codified knowledge. Nevertheless, the management of such a capital quickly appears problematic. In fact, a great quantity of knowledge is not transmitted this way; it is rather diffused by means of social interactions. We focus here on communities of practice and wish to know what impact does the cognitive distance that may exist between different members of a community have on the process of knowledge creation. We use agent-based modelling and preliminary results show that the cognitive distance that may, or may not, exist between the different members of a community does not seem to have an impact on the process of knowledge creation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-149.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
innovation; knowledge; cognitive distance; agent-based simulations;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2014-03-22 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2014-03-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-HME-2014-03-22 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2014-03-22 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2014-03-22 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Gilbert & Pietro Terna, 2000. "How to build and use agent-based models in social science," Mind and Society: Cognitive Studies in Economics and Social Sciences, Fondazione Rosselli, vol. 1(1), pages 57-72, March.
- Patrick Cohendet & Murât Yildizoglu & Olivier Dupouët, 2003. "Morphogenèse de communautés de pratique," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 103(1), pages 91-110.
- Manelle Guechtouli & Serge Amabile & Benoit Fantino, 2014. "Quels objectifs d’élaboration des politiques de sécurité de l’information dans les organisations ?," Working Papers 2014-396, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.