On the Role of Management Commitment in Export Performance: A Meta-Analysis
AbstractThis article reviews the conceptual, methodological, and empirical insights gained from a systematic analysis of 65 studies conducted on the role of management commitment in the export performance of the firm. Undoubtedly, this stream of research has enhanced understanding of the importance of management commitment in affecting exporting activities. However, conceptually, there is still a lack of integral theoretical framework. Methodologically, limitations are identified concerning sampling designs, fieldwork procedures, and analytical methods. Empirically, hypothesized associations between export commitment and export performance lead to conflicting findings. After a presentation of meta-analysis techniques used and articles compiled, our paper provides an original investigation of this issue by implementing three meta-analyses to examine the relationship between commitment to export and export performance. The meta-analysis, more relevant than simple literature surveys, generally leads to the conclusion that there is a significant positive relationship between export commitment and export performance. Moreover, our findings suggest directions for future research in the field.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-129.
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
commitment to export; export performance; meta-analysis; exporting inquiry.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2014-03-15 (Business Economics)
- NEP-INT-2014-03-15 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Stoian, Maria-Cristina & Rialp, Alex & Rialp, Josep, 2011. "Export performance under the microscope: A glance through Spanish lenses," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 117-135, April.
- Leonidas C Leonidou & Constatine S Katsikeas, 1996. "The Export Development Process: An Integrative Review of Empirical Models," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(3), pages 517-551, September.
- Navarro, Antonio & Losada, Fernando & Ruzo, Emilio & Díez, José A., 2010. "Implications of perceived competitive advantages, adaptation of marketing tactics and export commitment on export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 49-58, January.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 1990. "Influence of firm size on export planning and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 235-248, May.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.