A Desigualdade de Renda no Brasil Encontra-se Subestimada? Uma Análise Comparativa com Base na PNAD, na POF e nas Contas Nacionais
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate the magnitude of the underestimation of household income by the Pnad and its potential effects on the measurement of the level and the evolution of Brazilian income inequality. For that, we compare the data from Pnad with the data from the Household Expenditure Survey (POF) and the National Accounting System (NAS). The analysis is made in three steps. First, we evaluate the underestimation degree of total household income by the Pnad. Second, we simulate the impacts of this underestimation on income inequality measurement. Finally, we analyze in what extent household income underestimation affects the estimation of income inequality variation between 2001 and 2003. The results suggest that even though household income underestimation by the Pnad is high, income inequality underestimation is not substantial. Additionally, we find no evidence that household income underestimation by the Pnad implies an overestimation of the income inequality fall in the recent period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA in its series Discussion Papers with number 1263.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, 2008. "O Ritmo de Queda na Desigualdade no Brasil é Adequado? Evidências do Contexto Histórico e Internacional," Discussion Papers 1339, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Ana Flávia Machado & Rafael Perez Ribas, 2008.
"Do Changes in the Labour Market Take Families out of Poverty? Determinants of Exiting Poverty in Brazilian Metropolitan Regions,"
44, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Ana Flavia Machado & Rafael Perez Ribas, 2010. "Do Changes in the Labour Market Take Families Out of Poverty? Determinants of Exiting Poverty in Brazilian Metropolitan Regions," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(9), pages 1503-1522.
- Pedro H. G. Ferreira de Souza, 2012. "Poverty, Inequality and Social Policies in Brazil, 1995-2009," Working Papers 87, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.