Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence From Brazil
AbstractThis paper aims at characterizing water demand by Brazilian manufacturing plantslocated in São Paulo and at assessing the potential impacts of environmental policieson industrial water use. We first show that the price elasticity of the water demand,-1.0 on average, is high enough for a water charge to act as an effective policy tool forreducing water consumption. Results also provide some evidence of a tradeoffbetween water quality improvement and water conservation policies, since morestringent environmental standards may lead to a higher water demand. A joint use ofenvironmental norms and water charges may reconcile both policy goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA in its series Discussion Papers with number 1079.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence from Brazil," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(3).
- Feres, José & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence from Brazil," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Surender Kumar, 2009.
"Analyzing Industrial Water Demand in India: An Input Distance Function Approach,"
- Kumar, Surender, 2004. "Analysing industrial water demand in India: An input distance function approach," Working Papers 04/12, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Diane Dupont & Steven Renzetti, 2001. "The Role of Water in Manufacturing," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 411-432, April.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Wang, Hua & Lall, Somik, 1999. "Valuing water for Chinese industries : a marginal productivity assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2236, The World Bank.
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2003. "An Econometric Estimation of Industrial Water Demand in France," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 213-232, June.
- Linz, Teresa & Tsegai, Daniel W., 2009. "Industrial Water Demand analysis in the Middle Olifants sub-basin of South Africa: The case of Mining," Discussion Papers 49927, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas, 2012.
"Water reuse in Brazilian manufacturing firms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(11), pages 1417-1427, April.
- José Gustavo Féres & Alban Thomas & Arnaud Reynaud, 2006. "Water Reuse In Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 181, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas, 2007. "Water Reuse in Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," Discussion Papers 1257, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- FERES JosÃ© & REYNAUD Arnaud, 2006. "Does Formal or Informal Environmental Regulation have an Impact on Costs? An Empirical Analysis of the Brazilian," LERNA Working Papers 06.16.209, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Vallés-Giménez, Jaime & Zárate-Marco , Anabel, 2013. "Environmental taxation and industrial water use in Spain," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 25, pages 133-162.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.