Poverty, Old-Age and Social Pensions in Kenya
AbstractThis study is concerned with old-age poverty in Kenya. It is also concerned with strengthening and developing social pension programs for the elderly. In this study, we develop precise socioeconomic and demographic profiles of the elderly in Kenya from the viewpoint of providing policy-makers with information that may be useful in the reform and expansion of the pension system. It also analyzes the impact of current pension systems on poverty among elderly and national poverty. Further, the current study evaluates the potential effects that alternative policies and targeting alternatives may be expected to have on poverty within the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth in its series Working Papers with number 24.
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by UNDP - International Poverty Centre, July 2006, pages 1-50
Poverty; Social pensions; Kenya;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frances Lund, 1999. "Understanding South African social security through recent household surveys: New opportunities and continuing gaps," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 55-67.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Case, Anne & Deaton, Angus, 1998.
"Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1330-61, September.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1996. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 5572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, A. & Deaton, A., 1996. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," Papers 176, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Larry Willmore, 2004. "Universal Pensions in Low Income Countries," Public Economics 0412002, EconWPA.
- Ingrid Woolard & Murray Leibbrandt, 1999. "Household Incomes, Poverty and Inequality in a Multivariate Framework," Working Papers 99031, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Armando Barrientos, 2002. "Old age, poverty and social investment," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(8), pages 1133-1141.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.