Managing the Exchange Rate Consequences of an MDG-Related Scale-up in HIV/AIDS Financing
AbstractThis Conference Paper by John Serieux was presented at the ?Global Conference on Gearing Macroeconomic Policies to Reverse the HIV/AIDS Epidemic?, jointly organized by UNDP?s HIV/AIDS Group and IPC and held in Brasilia, November 2006. It is part of an IPC-supported Research Programme on ?Macroeconomic Policies to Combat HIV/AIDS?. The paper argues that any adverse macroeconomic effects of a large scaling up of HIV/AIDS financing can be prevented by proper exchange-rate management, including frontloading aid, building up a modest stock of foreign exchange reserves and refraining from over-reacting to initial moderate increases in inflation and the value of the exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth in its series Conference Paper with number 1.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by UNDP - International Poverty Centre, March 2007, pages 1-45
Poverty; MDG; HIV/AIDS; EXCHANGE RATE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephane Pallage & Michel Robe, 1998.
"Foreign Aid and the Business Cycle,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
63, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Timothy D. Lane & Leslie Lipschitz & Cristina Arellano & Ales Bulir, 2005.
"The Dynamic Implications of Foreign Aid and its Variability,"
IMF Working Papers
05/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Arellano, Cristina & Bulír, Ales & Lane, Timothy & Lipschitz, Leslie, 2009. "The dynamic implications of foreign aid and its variability," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 87-102, January.
- Markus Haacker, 2002. "The Economic Consequences of HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A, 1999. "External Aid: Help or Hindrance to Export Orientation in Africa?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 578-616, December.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Philip R. Lane & Aaron Tornell, 1999. "The Voracity Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 22-46, March.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Bryceson, Deborah Fahy & Fonseca, Jodie, 2006. "Risking death for survival: Peasant responses to hunger and HIV/AIDS in Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1654-1666, September.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances & Ramirez, Alejandro, 2000.
"Economic Growth and Human Development,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 197-219, February.
- Michael A. Clemens & Charles J. Kenny & Todd J. Moss, 2004.
"The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success,"
40, Center for Global Development.
- Clemens, Michael A. & Kenny, Charles J. & Moss, Todd J., 2007. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 735-751, May.
- Michael Clemens & Charles Kenny & Todd Moss, 2004. "The Trouble with the MDGs: Confronting Expectations of Aid and Development Success," Development and Comp Systems 0405011, EconWPA.
- Suri, Tavneet & Boozer, Michael A. & Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 2011.
"Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 506-522, April.
- Michael Boozer & Gustav Ranis & Frances Stewart & Tavneet Suri, 2003. "Paths to Success: The Relationship Between Human Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers 874, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- McDonald, Scott & Roberts, Jennifer, 2006.
"AIDS and economic growth: A human capital approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 228-250, June.
- Scott McDonald & Jennifer Roberts, 2004. "Aids and Economic Growth: A Human Capital Approach," Working Papers 2004008, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2004.
- Ale Bulir & A. Javier Hamann, 2003. "Aid Volatility: An Empirical Assessment," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(1), pages 4.
- Bourguignon, Fran.ois & Sundberg, Mark, 2006. "Absorptive Capacity and Achieving the MDGs," Working Paper Series RP2006/47, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mwanza Nkusu, 2004. "Aid and the Dutch Disease in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/49, International Monetary Fund.
- Arndt, Channing, 2006. "HIV/AIDS, human capital, and economic growth prospects for Mozambique," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 477-489, July.
- Christopher S. Adam & David L. Bevan, 2006.
"Aid and the Supply Side: Public Investment, Export Performance, and Dutch Disease in Low-Income Countries,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 261-290.
- Christopher Adam & David Bevan, 2004. "Aid and the Supply Side: Public Investment, Export Performance and Dutch Disease in Low Income Countries," Economics Series Working Papers 201, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ardeshir Sepehri & Saeed Moshiri, 2004. "Inflation-Growth Profiles Across Countries: Evidence from Developing and Developed Countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 191-207.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005.
"What Undermines Aid's Impact on Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
11657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C Arndt & J D Lewis, 2000. "The Macro Implications of HIV/AIDS in South Africa: A Preliminary Assessment," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 68(5), pages 380-392, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.