Inflación y Tipo de Cambio: Chile 1810-2005
AbstractDuring the last two centuries Chile had three official monetary units of account, where changes from one to the other can be seen as related to price level variations stretching over many years . For description and analysis this prolonged but also highly variable inflation environment will require previous adjustment of time series expressed in current monetary terms. The present document discusses sources and explains the construction of price level indicators stretching over this long time period, both for wholesale and consumer prices. It also refers to exchange rate series and explains how a unique price is obtained in periods of multiple rate policy. Finally, various indicators for the real exchange rate are brought together.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 328.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
price level indicators; exchange rate series; Chile;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- N00 - Economic History - - General - - - General
- N16 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-02-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-02-09 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.