A Simple Auction Mechanism for the Optimal Allocation of the Commons
AbstractEfficient regulation of the commons requires information about the regulated firms that is rarely available to regulators (e.g., cost of pollution abatement). Different mechanisms have been proposed for inducing firms to reveal their private information but for reasons I discuss in the paper, I find these mechanisms of limited use. I propose a much simpler mechanism that implements the first-best for any number of firms: a uniform price sealed-bid auction of an endogenous number of (transferable) licenses with a fraction of the auction revenues given back to firms. Paybacks, which decrease with the number of firms, are such that truth-telling is a dominant strategy regardless of whether firms behave non-cooperatively or collusively.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its series Documentos de Trabajo with number 311.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 2008. "A Simple Auction Mechanism for the Optimal Allocation of the Commons," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 496-518, March.
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 2006. "A simple auction mechanism for the optimal allocation of the commons," Working Papers 0608, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ollikka, Kimmo & Tukiainen , Janne, 2013. "Central bank liquidity auction mechanism design and the interbank market," Research Discussion Papers 21/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Juan-Pablo Montero, 2011. "Cuotas de Pesca y Libre Competencia: Algunas Reflexiones para la Nueva Ley de Pesca," Documentos de Trabajo 405, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Juan Carlos Carbajal & Andrew McLennan & Rabee Tourky, 2012.
"Truthful Implementation and Preference Aggregation in Restricted Domains,"
Discussion Papers Series
459, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Carbajal, Juan Carlos & McLennan, Andrew & Tourky, Rabee, 2013. "Truthful implementation and preference aggregation in restricted domains," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 1074-1101.
- Enrique Calfucura & Jessica Coria & JosÃ© Miguel SÃ¡nchez, 2008. "Permisos Transables de EmisiÃ³n en Chile: Lecciones, DesafÃos y Oportunidades para PaÃses en Desarrollo," Documentos de Trabajo 347, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Gersbach, Hans & Winkler, Ralph, 2008.
"International Emission Permit Markets with Refunding,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gersbach, Hans & Winkler, Ralph, 2011. "International emission permit markets with refunding," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 759-773, August.
- Hans Gersbach & Ralph Winkler, 2008. "International Emission Permit Markets with Refunding," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/97, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Thierry Brechet & Pierre M. Picard, 2008.
"The Price of Silence: Markets for Noise Licenses and Airports,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
08-08, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Thierry Bréchet & Pierre M. Picard, 2010. "The Price Of Silence: Markets For Noise Licenses And Airports," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1125, November.
- BRECHET, Thierry & PICARD, Pierre M., . "The price of silence: markets for noise licenses and airports," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2270, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sonia Schwartz, 2009. "Comment distribuer les quotas de pollution ?. Une revue de la littérature," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(4), pages 535-568.
- Olivier Bos & Béatrice Roussillon & Paul Schweinzer, 2013. "Agreeing on Efficient Emissions Reduction," CESifo Working Paper Series 4345, CESifo Group Munich.
- Juan Pablo Montero, 2007. "An Auction Mechanism for the Commons: Some Extensions," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(130), pages 141-150.
- Berglann, Helge, 2012. "Implementing optimal taxes using tradable share permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 402-409.
- Suzi Kerr, 2012. "The Economics of International Policy Agreements to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation," Working Papers 12_12, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Anabela Botelho & Lígia M.Costa Pinto & Eduarda Fernandes, 2013. "More on the dynamic Vickrey mechanism for multi-unit auctions: an experimental study on the emission permits initial auction," NIMA Working Papers 53, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Requate, Till, 2012. "Emissions standards and ambient environmental quality standards with stochastic environmental services," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 377-389.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amparo García).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.