The modalities of territorial embeddedness of french cooperative groups
AbstractThe article aims to analyse the modalities followed by French coopera-tive groups seeking to implement a territorial embeddedness process. It will at-tempt to clarify issues relating to the significance of this territorial dimension along with cooperative groupsâ€Ÿ strategies and behaviour. The text starts with a brief literature review elucidating the notion of territorial embeddedness and dis-tinguishing it from the territorial circumscription, while presenting the specificities of this concept for cooperatives. It then processes national statistics databases and comes up with a spatial topology of French cooperative groups. The second sec-tion offers a set of indicators that can be used to measure and test territorial em-beddedness, validated by a survey of 15 of Franceâ€Ÿs leading agricultural coopera-tive groups. We demonstrate that, along with geographic location and statutory perimeter of action, territorial embeddedness also reflects three other main criteria, to wit: where the agricultural cooperative runs its operations; where its members are located; and where they receive the outputs and services that they are offered. There is no doubt that cooperative groups construct territorial embeddedness on the basis of a joint activation of relationships with their members â€“ but it is just as clear that this construction varies depending on the extent of a groupâ€Ÿs integration into particular branches and markets.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France in its series Working Papers with number 197012.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Territorial governance
cooperative group; territorial embeddedness; france;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Administrateur de ProdInra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.