The Economic Thought on Poverty Measurement: From the Nineteenth-Century to the Rediscovering Era
AbstractThis essay describes the evolution of the Economics of Poverty from the seminal works of Charles Booth and Joseph Rowntree to the Rediscovering Era in the 1960’s. It shows how the leading objectives of its authors changed over the decades. The description is roughly exhaustive, pointing out the way how the leading concepts, many of them frequently used even nowadays, were developed by its authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality in its series Working Papers with number 92.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Approaches; Poverty Measurement; Techniques;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B49 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Other
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-HAP-2008-09-13 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HIS-2008-09-13 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2008-09-13 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walker, Francis Amasa, 1897. "The Causes of Poverty," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 55, pages 210, December.
- Timothy J. Hatton & Roy >. Bailey, 2000.
"Seebohm Rowntree and the postwar poverty puzzle,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 53(3), pages 517-543, 08.
- Hatton, Timothy J & Bailey, Roy E, 1998.
"Poverty and the Welfare State in Interwar London,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 574-606, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.