Forecasting euro exchange rates: How much does model averaging help?
AbstractWe analyze the performance of Bayesian model averaged exchange rate forecasts for euro/US dollar, euro/Japanese yen, euro/Swiss franc and euro/British pound rates using weights based on the out-of-sample predictive likelihood. The paper also presents a simple stratified sampling procedure in the spirit of Sala i Martin et alia (2004) to obtain model weights based on predictive accuracy. Our results indicate that accounting explicitly for model uncertainty when constructing predictions of euro exchange rates leads to improvements in predictive accuracy as measured by the mean square forecast error. While the forecasting error of the combined forecast tends to be systematically smaller than that of the individual model that would have been chosen based on predictive accuracy in a test sample, random walk forecasts cannot be beaten significantly in terms of squared forecast errors. Direction of change statistics, on the other hand, are significantly improved by Bayesian model averaging.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck in its series Working Papers with number 2007-24.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitätsstraße 15, A - 6020 Innsbruck
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Forecasting; model averaging; Bayesian econometrics; exchange rates.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oxana Babetskaia-Kukharchuk, 2007.
"Transmission of Exchange Rate Shocks into Domestic Inflation: The Case of the Czech Republic,"
2007/12, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Oxana Babecká-Kucharèuková, 2009. "Transmission of Exchange Rate Shocks into Domestic Inflation: The Case of the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(2), pages 137-152, June.
- Feldkircher, Martin, 2010.
"Forecast Combination and Bayesian Model Averaging - A Prior Sensitivity Analysis,"
Working Papers in Economics and Finance
2010-14, University of Salzburg.
- Martin Feldkircher, 2012. "Forecast Combination and Bayesian Model Averaging: A Prior Sensitivity Analysis," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(4), pages 361-376, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.