Has India emerged? Business cycle stylized facts from a transitioning economy
AbstractThis paper presents a comprehensive set of stylised facts for business cycles in India from 1950 - 2009. We find that the nature of the business cycle has changed dramatically after India's liberalisation reforms in 1991. In particular, after the the mid 1990s, the properties of India's business cycle has moved closer in key respects to select advanced countries. This is consistent with India's structural transformation from a pre-dominantly agricultural and planned developing economy to a more market based industrial-income economy. We also identify in what respects the behaviour of the Indian business cycle is different from that of other advanced economies, and closer to that of other less developed economies. This is the first exercise of this kind to generate an exhaustive set of stylised facts for India using both annual and quarterly data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India in its series Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers with number 11-05.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Macroeconomics; Real Business Cycles; Emerging Market DSGE Models; Volatility and Growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Ghate, Chetan & Pandey, Radhika & Patnaik, Ila, 2013. "Has India emerged? Business cycle stylized facts from a transitioning economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 157-172.
- E10 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2012-03-28 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2012-03-28 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shruthi Jayaram & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2009.
"Examining the decoupling hypothesis for India,"
Trade Working Papers
22972, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jayaram, Shruthi & Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2009. "Examining the decoupling hypothesis for India," Working Papers 09/61, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik & Shruthi Jayaram, 2009. "Examining the Decoupling Hypothesis for India," Working Papers id:2119, eSocialSciences.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & McDermott, C John & Prasad, Eswar S, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries: Some Stylized Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 251-85, May.
- C. John McDermott & Eswar Prasad & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1999. "Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries - Some Stylized Facts," IMF Working Papers 99/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Javier Garcia-Cicco & Roberto Pancrazi & Martin Uribe, 2010.
"Real Business Cycles in Emerging Countries?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 2510-31, December.
- Javier García-Cicco & Roberto Pancrazi & Martín Uribe, 2006. "Real Business Cycles in Emerging Countries?," NBER Working Papers 12629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garcia-Cicco, Javier & Pancrazi, Roberto & Uribe, Martin, 2010. "Real Business Cycles in Emerging Countries?," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2005.
"A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 75-102, February.
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2004. "A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2004-05, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Alain Noullez & Alessandra Iacobucci, 2004. "A Frequency-selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 128, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ambler, S. & Cardia, E. & Zimmermann, C., 2000.
"International Business Cycles: What Are the Facts?,"
Cahiers de recherche
2000-05, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ambler, Steve & Cardia, Emanuela & Zimmermann, Christian, 2004. "International business cycles: What are the facts?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 257-276, March.
- Steve Ambler & Emanuela Cardia & Christian Zimmermann, 1999. "International Business Cycles: What are the Facts?," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 90, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- AMBLER, Steve & CARDIA, Emanuela & ZIMMERMANN, Christian, 2000. "International Business Cycles: What Are the Facts?," Cahiers de recherche 2000-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nicoletta Batini & Vasco Gabriel & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman, 2010.
"A Floating versus Managed Exchange Rate Regime in a DSGE Model of India,"
School of Economics Discussion Papers
0410, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Nicoletta Batini & Vasco J. Gabriel & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman, 2010. "A Floating versus Managed Exchange Rate Regime in a DSGE Model of India," NIPE Working Papers 31/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Nicoletta Batini & Vasco Gabriel & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman, 2010. "A Floating versus Managed Exchange Rate Regime in a DSGE Model of India," Macroeconomics Working Papers 21992, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Batini, Nicoletta & Gabriel, Vasco & Levine, Paul, 2010. "A Floating versus managed exchange rate regime in a DSGE model of India," Working Papers 10/70, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Canova, Fabio, 1993.
"Detrending and Business Cycle Facts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
782, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Charles H. Whiteman, 2003. "International Business Cycles: World, Region, and Country-Specific Factors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1216-1239, September.
- CÃ©sar CalderÃ³n & Rodrigo Fuentes., 2011.
"Characterizing the Business Cycles of Emerging Economies,"
Documentos de Trabajo
371, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Calderon, Cesar & Fuentes, Rodrigo, 2010. "Characterizing the business cycles of emerging economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5343, The World Bank.
- Shah, Ajay & Patnaik, Ila, 2010. "Stabilising the Indian business cycle," Working Papers 10/67, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Rand, John & Tarp, Finn, 2002. "Business Cycles in Developing Countries: Are They Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2071-2088, December.
- Pami Dua & Anirvan Banerji, 2001. "An Indicator Approach to Business and Growth Rate Cycles: The Case of India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 36(1), pages 55-78, January.
- Rachel Male, 2010. "Developing Country Business Cycles: Revisiting the Stylised Facts," Working Papers 664, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- César Calderón & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2006. "Complementarities between Institutions and Openness in Economic Development: Evidence for a Panel of Countries," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(127), pages 49-80.
- C. Emre Alper, 2002. "Business Cycles, Excess Volatility, and Capital Flows: Evidence from Mexico and Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(4), pages 25-58, August.
- Hilde Christiane BjÛrnland, 2000. "Detrending methods and stylized facts of business cycles in Norway - an international comparison," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 369-392.
- Bhattacharya, Rudrani & Patnaik, Ila & Pundit, Madhavi, 2013. "Emerging economy business cycles: Financial integration and terms of trade shocks," Working Papers 13/120, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- repec:ris:cieodp:2013_020 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vaz, Eric, 2013. "The Spatial Business Landscape of India," Journal of Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, vol. 1(4), pages 241-253.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.