Bertrand competition with non-rigid capacity constraints
AbstractWe examine a model of Bertrand competition with non-rigid capacity constraints, so that by incurring an additional per unit cost of capacity expansion, firms can produce beyond capacity. We find that there is an interval of prices such that a price can be sustained as a pure strategy Nash equilibrium if and only if it lies in this interval. We then examine the properties of this set as [a] the number of firms becomes large and [b] the capacity cost increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India in its series Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers with number 09-02.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Bertrand competition; capacity constraint;
Other versions of this item:
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2009. "Bertrand competition with non-rigid capacity constraints," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 55-58, April.
- Prabal, Roy Chowdhury, 2008. "Bertrand Competition with Non-rigid Capacity Constraints," MPRA Paper 9172, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-02-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2010-02-20 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2010-02-20 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Beth & Hellwig, Martin, 1986. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Oligopoly in Large Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 175-204, April.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Novshek, William & Chowdhury, Prabal Roy, 2003. "Bertrand equilibria with entry: limit results," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 795-808, June.
- Boccard, Nicolas & Wauthy, Xavier, 2000.
"Bertrand competition and Cournot outcomes: further results,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 279-285, September.
- BOCCARD , Nicolas & WAUTHY, Xavier, . "Bertrand competition and Cournot outcomes: futher results," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1474, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1995. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Bertrand Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Chaudhuri, Prabal Ray, 1996. "The contestable outcome as a Bertrand equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 237-242, February.
- Boccard, Nicolas & Wauthy, Xavier, 2004. "Bertrand competition and Cournot outcomes: a correction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 163-166, August.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, January.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, II: Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 27-41, January.
- Vives, Xavier, 1986. "Rationing rules and Bertrand-Edgeworth equilibria in large markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-116.
- Prabal Chowdhury & Kunal Sengupta, 2004. "Coalition-proof Bertrand equilibria," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 307-324, August.
- Maggi, Giovanni, 1996. "Strategic Trade Policies with Endogenous Mode of Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 237-58, March.
- Makoto Yano & Takashi Komatsubara, 2012. "Price Competition or Tacit Collusion," KIER Working Papers 807, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Marie-Laure Cabon-Dhersin & Nicolas Drouhin, 2012. "Tacit collusion in a one-shot game of price competition with soft capacity constraints," Working Papers hal-00709093, HAL.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Sugata Marjit & Lei Yang, 2010.
"An evaluation of the employment effects of barriers to outsourcing,"
2010-030, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Marjit, Sugata & Yang, Lei, 2011. "An Evaluation of the Employment Effects of Barriers to Outsourcing," IZA Discussion Papers 5426, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marie-Laure Cabon-Dhersin & Nicolas Drouhin, 2012. "Tacit collusion in a one-shot game of price competition with soft capacity constraints," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00709093, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.