A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators
AbstractThere was a boom in the development of sustainable development indicators (SDIs) after notion of sustainability became popular through Bruntland Commission's report. Since then numerous efforts have been made worldwide in constructing SDIs at global, national and local scales, but in India not a single city has registered any initiative for indicator development . Motivated by this dearth of studies added to the prevailing sustainability risks in million plus cities in India, a research is being undertaken at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development and Research (IGIDR), Mumbai, India, to develop a set of sustainable indicators to study the resource dynamics of the city of Mumbai. As a first step in the process, the ground for development of SDIs is prepared through the development of a framework. A multi-view black box (MVBB) framework has been constructed by eliminating the system component from the extended urban metabolism model (EUMM) and introducing three-dimensional views of economic efficiency (EE), social wellbeing (SW), and ecological acceptability (EA). Domain-based classification was adopted to facilitate a scientifically credible set of indicators. The important domain areas are identified and applying MVBB framework, a model has been developed for each domain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India in its series Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers with number 2008-003.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Urban metabolism; Resources transformation; Economic efficiency; Society; Ecology; Monitoring and evaluation; City development; Black box; Productization of process;
Other versions of this item:
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2008. "A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators," Development Economics Working Papers 22344, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-02-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2009-02-22 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2009-02-22 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HAP-2009-02-22 (Economics of Happiness)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2011. "Urban transport sustainability indicators: Application of Multi-View Black-Box (MVBB) framework," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India 2011-022, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.