India's intra-industry trade under economic liberalization: Trends and country specific factors
AbstractThis paper focuses on two aspects of India's intra-industry trade (IIT)in manufactured commodities under economic liberalization. First, it examines the changes in the intensity of multilateral IIT as between 1987-88,1994-95 and 1998-99 to understand the impact of trade liberalisation on IIT. Second, within the theoretical framework of vertical IIT, it analyzes the influence of various country specific factors on the intensity and the probability of IIT in India 's bilateral trade with her major trading partners.The findings confirmed the hypothesis that trade liberalization biases trade expansion towards IIT.In most of the industries, the increased levels of IIT are export-led,that is,caused by a faster growth of exports than of imports. The econometric exercise showed that, certain country specific factors which are found to be crucial in theory, are pertinent in determining the country pattern of India 's IIT.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India in its series Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers with number 313.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
India; Liberalisation; Intra-industry trade; Country specific factors;
Other versions of this item:
- Veeramani C, 2010. "India's Intra- Industry Trade Under Economic Liberalization: Trends and Country Specific Factors," Working Papers id:2967, eSocialSciences.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Klaus Deininger & Lyn Squire, 1996.
"A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality,"
CEMA Working Papers
512, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Steven Globerman & James Dean, 1990. "Recent trends in intra-industry trade and their implications for future trade liberalization," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Rudolf Loertscher & Frank Wolter, 1980. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: Among countries and across industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 280-293, June.
- Krugman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing returns," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2008-3, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Lars Nilsson, 1999. "Two-way trade between unequal partners: The EU and the developing countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 102-127, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- P. Tharakan & Birgit Kerstens, 1995. "Does North-South horizontal intra-industry trade really exist? An analysis of the toy industry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 86-105, March.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Tao Zhang & Heng-fu Zou, 1999.
"A Data Set on Income Distribution,"
CEMA Working Papers
575, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Barua, Alokesh & Chakraborty, Debashis & Hariprasad, C. G., 2010. "Entry, Competitiveness and Exports: Evidence from Firm Level Data of Indian Manufacturing," MPRA Paper 22738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2009.
"The Intra-industry Trade for a Highincome Country: New Empirical Evidence for Italy,"
Economia Internazionale / International Economics,
Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 62(2), pages 233-254.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 211, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Rosanna Pittiglio, Rosanna, 2008. "The intra-industry trade for a high-income country: new empirical evidence for Italy," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-17, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Priyanka Singh Bhadouria & N.M.P. Verma, 2012. "Intra-industry trade in textile industry: the case of India," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 199-212.
- Vudayagi Balasubramanyam & N Forsans, 2013. "Why do Indian firms go abroad?," Working Papers 33867210, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Poornima Varma, 2012. "An analysis of Indiaâ€™s bilateral intra-industry trade in agricultural products," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 83-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.