Managing intellectual assets within knowledge-based partnerships: Insights from a survey of public laboratories collaborating with industry
AbstractWhen public research laboratories and industry meet to produce and exchange knowledge and technologies, they face decisions about how to frame these collaborations to make the best use of each partner’s resources, ensure a productive and fair outcome, and defuse any tensions and conflicts. In this paper we examine these questions through a survey of 130 public laboratories in France. This study contributes new insights into the characteristics of contractual and intellectual property agreements within collaborative R&D settings, which reflect both the strategies adopted by laboratories to manage their intellectual assets and the requirements of their private partners.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IMRI (Institut pour le Management de la Recherche et de l'Innovation), Université Paris-Dauphine in its series Working Papers IMRI with number 0603.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Place du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 75775 PARIS CEDEX 16
Phone: +33 (1) 44 05 40 33
Fax: +33 (1) 44 05 48 49
Web page: http://www.dauphine.fr/imri
More information through EDIRC
university-industry collaborations; knowledge and technology transfer; public-private research partnerships; economics of science; France;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- L30 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2006-09-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-SOG-2006-09-11 (Sociology of Economics)
- NEP-TID-2006-09-11 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goddard, John Gabriel & Isabelle, Marc, 2007. "Explaining the balance between publications and patents as outputs from public-private collaborative R&D: An empirical study on French data," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5016, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Pitoun).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.