Die Entwicklung der funktionalen Einkommensverteilung und ihrer Einflussfaktoren in ausgewählten Industrieländern 1960-2010
Abstractn the first part of the study developments of factor shares in six advanced economies since the early 1960s are presented. Instead of focusing on the wage share, ie the share of national income that goes to employees, a broader measure is used to account for all labor income, the labor income share. In the second part a simple empirical approach is used to shed some light on the question why the labor share declined in the majority of countries looked at. The main objective is to identify what happened empirically in the first decade of the new century behind the scene, rather than giving a theoretical expla-nation for the declining shares. In this way the developments of the labor share can by analyzed in detail by decomposing changes of the constituent factors that built the nu-merator and the denominator of the labor income share. The increase of the factors that determine the distributive scope is then contrasted with the development of the factors which can use it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute in its series IMK Studies with number 1-2011.
Length: 75 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-GER-2012-05-15 (German Papers)
- NEP-HIS-2012-05-15 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2000. "Realeinkommen im neuen Europäischen System Volkswirtschaftlicher Gesamtrechnungen," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 53(04), pages 07-13, 02.
- Paul R. Krugman, 2008. "Trade and Wages, Reconsidered," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(1 (Spring), pages 103-154.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1998.
"Explaining Movements in the Labour Share,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1958, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Bentolila & Gilles Saint Paul, 1999. "Explaining movements in the labor share," Economics Working Papers 374, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bentollia, S. & Saint-Paul, G., 1999. "Explaining Movements in the Labor Share," Papers 9905, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2007.
"How to Save Globalization from its Cheerleaders,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 2006.
"Zur gesamtwirtschaftlichen Preisentwicklung,"
Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 59(03), pages 28-31, 02.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-58, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Nemitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.