Fixed Capital Adjustment
AbstractThis paper examines capital adjustment patterns using two large and largely novel data sets from the manufacturing sectors of Colombia and Mexico. The findings show that investment patterns in these countries resemble those reported for the United States to a surprising extent. Capital adjustments beyond maintenance investment occur only rarely, but large spikes account for a significant fraction of total investment. Although duration models do not provide strong evidence for the presence of substantial fixed costs, nonparametric adjustment function estimates reveal the presence of irreversibilities in investment. These irreversibilities are important for understanding aggregate investment behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 99/59.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Comin, Diego & Loayza, Norman & Pasha, Farooq & Serven, Luis, 2009.
"Medium-term business cycles in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5146, The World Bank.
- Diego A. Comin & Norman Loayza & Farooq Pasha & Luis Serven, 2009. "Medium Term Business Cycles in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego A. Comin & Norman Loayza & Farooq Pasha & Luis Serven, 2009. "Medium Term Business Cycles in Developing Countries," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-029, Harvard Business School, revised Sep 2010.
- Comin, Diego & Loayza, Norman & Pasha, Farooq & Servén, Luis, 2011. "Medium Term Business Cycles in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 8574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Del Boca, Alessandra & Galeotti, Marzio & Rota, Paola, 2008.
"Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: A firm-level investigation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 315-337, February.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2002. "Non-convexities in the adjustment of different capital inputs: a firm-level investigation," Working Papers 0203, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Alessandra Del Boca & Marzio Galeotti & Paola Rota, 2003. "Non-convexities in the Adjustment of Different Capital Inputs: A Firm-level Investigation," Working Papers 2003.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.