Long-Run Exchange Rate Dynamics
AbstractLong-run movements of real exchange rates are studied using a panel data set comprising 51 economies. The purchasing power parity hypothesis (PPP) is examined first using unit root tests. It is found that PPP does not hold for the full sample of countries, but it may hold for the advanced economies, as well as open and high-inflation economies. Using the recently developed mean group and pooled mean group estimators, the paper finds support for the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis in both advanced and developing economies; and for the influence of shifts in the terms of trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 99/50.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jakub Borowski & Michal Brzoza- Brzezina, 2004.
"Designing Poland’s Macroeconomic Strategy on the Way to the Euro Area,"
- Jakub Borowski & Michal Brzoza-Brzezina, 2004. "Designing Poland's Macroeconomic Strategy on the Way to the Euro Area," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 10, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Kenneth W Clements & Yihui Lan & John Roberts, 2007.
"Exchange-Rate Economics for the Resources Sector,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
07-13, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Gour Gobinda Goswami & Sadaquat Junayed, 2006. "Pooled Mean Group Estimation of the Bilateral Trade Balance Equation: USA vis-a-vis her Trading Partners," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 515-526.
- Roland Craigwell & Kevin Greenidge & Harold Codrington & DeLisle Worrell, 2003. "Economic Resilience with An Exchange Rate Peg," IMF Working Papers 03/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Dungey, Mardi, 2004. "Identifying terms of trade effects in real exchange rate movements: evidence from Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 217-235, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.