Is Poland Ready for Inflation Targeting?
AbstractMonetary policymakers in advanced transition economies such as Poland are increasingly interested in how inflation responds to changes in policy instruments and other economic forces. In this paper, measures of underlying CPI inflation based upon optimal trimming concepts are developed. The sensitivity of these CPI measures to changes in a set of 25 policy and economic variables is then studied via Granger causality tests and impulse responses and a multivariate model of CPI inflation developed. The results show that a core set of variables characterize one-period-ahead underlying inflation moderately well but that statistical linkages are not yet robust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 99/41.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lucjan T Orlowski, 2005.
"Money Rules For The Eurozone Candidate Countries,"
- Anca Tanasie & Cosmin Fratostiteanu, 2008. "Forecasting inflation and its determinants," Revista Tinerilor Economisti (The Young Economists Journal), University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1(10), pages 110-116, April.
- Pelin Berkmen, 2002. "Measuring Core Inflation for Turkey - Trimmed Means Approach," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(2), pages 1-18.
- Jean-Patrick Yanitch & Virginie Coudert, 2001. "Les stratégies de change des pays d'Europe Centrale et Orientale candidats à l'Union européenne," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 6(1), pages 381-397.
- Lucjan T Orlowski, 2005.
"Monetary Policy Adjustments on the Final Passage towards the Euro,"
- Lucjan T. Orlowski, 2005. "Monetary Policy Adjustments on the Final Passage towards the Euro," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0294, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Jean-Patrick Yanitch & Virginie Coudert, 2001. "The Exchange Rate Strategies Adopted by the EU Accession Countries of Central and Eastern Europe," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 6(1), pages 345-360.
- Koskinen, Juha-Pekka & Koivu, Tuuli & Chowdhury, Abdur, 2004. "Selecting inflation indicators under an inflation targeting regime: evidence from the MCL method," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Lucio Vinhas de Souza, 2002. "Integrated monetary and exchange rate frameworks: are there empirical differences?," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2002-2, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Oct 2002.
- Siklos, Pierre L. & Abel, Istvan, 2002. "Is Hungary ready for inflation targeting?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 309-333, December.
- Jerzy Pruski & Piotr Szpunar, 2008. "Capital flows and their implications for monetary and financial stability: the experience of Poland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial globalisation and emerging market capital flows, volume 44, pages 403-421 Bank for International Settlements.
- Lyziak, Tomasz & Mackiewicz, Joanna & Stanislawska, Ewa, 2007. "Central bank transparency and credibility: The case of Poland, 1998-2004," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-87, March.
- Mark Hallerberg & Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2000. "The Political Business Cycles of EU Accession Countries," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-085/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina, 2004. "The Information Content of the Natural Rate of Interest: The Case of Poland," Macroeconomics 0402007, EconWPA.
- L�cio Vinhas de Souza, 2002. "Integrated Monetary and Exchange Rate Frameworks," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-054/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2000.
"A dynamic approach to inflation targeting in transition economies,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 11-2000, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Lucjan T Orlowski, 2005. "A Dynamic Approach to Inflation Targeting in Transition Economies," Macroeconomics 0501038, EconWPA.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "Financial globalisation and emerging market capital flows," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 44, May.
- Buiter, Willem H & Grafe, Clemens, 2002. "Anchor, Float or Abandon Ship: Exchange Rate Regimes for Accession Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3184, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Backé & Jarko Fidrmuc & Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax, 2002. "Price Dynamics in Central and Eastern European EU Accession," Working Papers 61, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.