Modeling and Forecasting Inflation in India
AbstractThe Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has moved away from a broad money target toward a “multiple indicators” approach to the conduct of monetary policy. In adopting such a framework, it is necessary to know which of the many potential indicators provide the most reliable and timely information on future developments in the target variable(s). This paper assesses which indicators provide the most useful information about future inflationary trends. It concludes that while the broad money target has been de-emphasized, developments in the monetary aggregates remain an important indicator of future inflation. The exchange rate and import prices are also relevant, particularly for inflation in the manufacturing sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 99/119.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2008.
"Inflation targeting in India: issues and prospects,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 259-270.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2005. "Inflation Targeting in India: Issues and Prospects," ASARC Working Papers 2005-04, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2005. "Inflation Targeting In India: Issues And Prospects," CAMA Working Papers 2005-28, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ilker Domac, 2003.
"Explaining and Forecasting Inflation in Turkey,"
0306, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Kishor, N. Kundan, 2009.
"Modeling Inflation in India: The Role of Money,"
16098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jagadish Prasad Sahu, 2013. "Inflation dynamics in India: A hybrid New Keynesian Phillips Curve approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2634-2647.
- Partha Ray & Jorge Somnath Chatterjee, 2001. "The role of asset prices in Indian inflation in recent years: some conjectures," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Modelling aspects of the inflation process and the monetary transmission mechanism in emerging market countries, volume 8, pages 131-150 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kaushik Bhattacharya, 2006. "Monetary policy approaches in India," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in Asia: approaches and implementation, volume 31, pages 74-102 Bank for International Settlements.
- Singh, B. Karan & Kanakaraj, A. & Sridevi, T.O., 2011.
"Revisiting the empirical existence of the Phillips curve for India,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 247-258, June.
- Karan Singh, B & Kanakaraj, A & Sridevi, T.O, 2010. "Revisiting the empirical existence of the Phillips Curve for India," MPRA Paper 31793, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Daniel Garcés & Mark Kruger & Miguel Messmacher, 2003. "Explaining and Forecasting Inflation in Emerging Markets: The Case of Mexico," Working Papers 03-17, Bank of Canada.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2006. "Monetary policy in Asia: approaches and implementation," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 31, 6.
- Koffie Ben Nassar, 2005. "Money Demand and Inflation in Madagascar," IMF Working Papers 05/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Giovanni Veronese, 2011. "Policy Focus: Monetary policy in India: is something amiss?," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 166-190, September.
- Zavkidjon Zavkiev, 2005. "Estimating A Model Of Inflation In Tajikistan," CAMA Working Papers 2005-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Michael Debabrata Patra & Partha Ray, 2010. "Inflation Expectations and Monetary Policy in India: An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 10/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Jalil, Abdul & Tariq, Rabbia & Bibi, Nazia, 2014. "Fiscal deficit and inflation: New evidences from Pakistan using a bounds testing approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 120-126.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.