Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy
AbstractExchange market pressure (EMP), the sum of exchange rate depreciation and reserve outflows (scaled by base money), summarizes the flow excess supply of money in a managed exchange rate regime. Examining Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Indonesia, Korea, and Thailand, this paper finds that monetary policy affects EMP as generally expected: contractionary monetary policy helps reduce EMP. The monetary policy stance is best measured by domestic credit growth (since interest rates contain both policy- and market-determined elements). In response to higher EMP, monetary authorities boosted domestic credit growth both in Mexico (confirming previous research) and in the Asian countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 99/114.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 1970.
"Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy : Evidence from Pakistan,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22208, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 2007. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(2), pages 83-114, Jul-Dec.
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 2007. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2007:31, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Feldkircher, Martin & Horvath, Roman & Rusnak, Marek, 2013.
"Exchange market pressures during the financial crisis: A Bayesian model averaging evidence,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
11/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Feldkircher, Martin & Horvath, Roman & Rusnak, Marek, 2014. "Exchange market pressures during the financial crisis: A Bayesian model averaging evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 21-41.
- Martin Feldkircher & Roman Horvath & Marek Rusnak, 2013. "Exchange Market Pressures during the Financial Crisis: A Bayesian Model Averaging Evidence," Working Papers 332, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cipollini, Andrea & Demetriades, Panicos O., 2005.
"Monetary policy and the exchange rate during the Asian crisis: identification through heteroscedasticity,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-53, February.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2003. "Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis: Identification Through Heteroscedasticity," CEIS Research Paper 23, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2000. "Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis Identification Through Heteroscedasticity," Discussion Papers in Economics 00/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Feb 2002.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2008.
"The Stress of Having a Single Monetary Policy in Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2251, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2008. "The Stress of Having a Single Monetary Policy in Europe," KOF Working papers 08-190, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Gochoco-Bautista, Maria Socorro & Bautista, Carlos C., 2005. "Monetary policy and exchange market pressure: The case of the Philippines," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 153-168, March.
- Scott W Hegerty, 2010. "Exchange-market pressure and currency crises in Latin America: Empirical tests of their macroeconomic determinants," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(3), pages 2210-2219.
- Hall, Stephen G. & Kenjegaliev, Amangeldi & Swamy, P.A.V.B. & Tavlas, George S., 2013.
"Measuring currency pressures: The cases of the Japanese yen, the Chinese yuan, and the UK pound,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 1-20.
- Stephen Hall & Amangeldi Kenjegaliev & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas, 2013. "Measuring Currency Pressures: The Cases of the Japanese Yen, the Chinese Yuan, and the U.K. Pound," Discussion Papers in Economics 13/10, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Goderis, B., 2007. "The Effect of Monetary Policy on Exchange Rates during Currency Crises; The Role of Debt, Institutions and Financial Openness," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-022-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Marek Dabrowski, 2002. "Currency Crises in Emerging - Market Economis: Causes, Consequences and Policy Lessons," CASE Network Reports 0051, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Boorman, Jack & Lane, Timothy & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Bulir, Ales & Ghosh, Atish R. & Hamann, Javier & Mourmouras, Alex & Phillips, Steven, 2000. "Managing financial crises: the experience in East Asia," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-67, December.
- Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2004. "The impact of monetary policy on the exchange rate: evidence from three small open economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 635-652, April.
- Scott W Hegerty, 2013. "Exchange Market Pressure, Output Drops, and Domestic Credit: Do Emerging Markets Behave Differently?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2583-2595.
- M. Idrees Khawaja & Musleh-ud Din, 2007. "Instrument of Managing Exchange Market Pressure: Money Supply or Interest Rate," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 381-394.
- Yu-Ming Hsiao & Sheng-Chieh Pan & Po-Chin Wu, 2010. "Can intervention indices detect central bank's actual intervention behaviour?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(15), pages 1525-1530.
- Chul Park, Yung & Chung, Chae-Shick & Wang, Yunjong, 2001. "Fear of Floating: Korea's Exchange Rate Policy after the Crisis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 225-251, June.
- Sufian, Fadzlan, 2009. "Determinants of bank efficiency during unstable macroeconomic environment: Empirical evidence from Malaysia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 54-77, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.