The United Kingdom's Experience with Inflation Targeting
AbstractThis paper reviews the first five years’ experience with inflation targeting in the United Kingdom. It concludes that inflation performance was not significantly different under inflation targeting than predicted by a VAR model estimated in the period prior to participation in the exchange rate mechanism (ERM). Both short- and long-term interest rates were lower than predicted, however, which is consistent with the interpretation that some gains in credibility were achieved under the inflation targeting regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 98/87.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Artis, Michael J & Kontolemis, Zenon G & Mizen, Paul D, 1998.
"Inflation Targeting: What can the ECB Learn from the Recent Experience of the Bank of England,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1941, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Artis, Michael J & Mizen, Paul & Kontolemis, Zenon, 1998. "Inflation Targeting: What Can the ECB Learn from the Recent Experience of the Bank of England?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(451), pages 1810-25, November.
- Ftiti, Zied & Hichri, Walid, 2014.
"The price stability under inflation targeting regime: An analysis with a new intermediate approach,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 23-32.
- Zied Ftiti & Walid Hichri, 2014. "The Price Stability Under Inflation Targeting Regime : An Analysis With a New Intermediate Approach," Working Papers, Department of Research, Ipag Business School 2014-099, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- St-Amant, Pierre & Tessier, David, 1998.
"Résultats empiriques multi-pays relatifs à l'impact des cibles d'inflation sur la crédibilité de la politique monétaire,"
Working Papers, Bank of Canada
98-23, Bank of Canada.
- Pierre St-Amant & David Tessier, 2000. "Résultats empiriques multi-pays relatifs à l'impact des cibles d'inflation sur la crédibilité de la politique monétaire," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(3), pages 295-310, September.
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008.
"The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: ANew Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis,"
- Essahbi Essaadi & Zied Ftiti, 2008. "The inflation Targeting effect on the inflation series: A New Analysis Approach of evolutionary spectral analysis," Working Papers, Groupe d'Analyse et de ThÃ©orie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), UniversitÃ© Lyon 2, Ecole Normale SupÃ©rieure 0832, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.