The Italian Labor Market
AbstractThis paper provides a synthesis of existing and new empirical perspectives on the structure of the Italian labor market, using data at different levels of disaggregation. The analysis indicates that aggregate data mask considerable disparities in labor market outcomes across regions and demographic groups. The evolutions of sectoral wage and employment structures also point to some dimensions of labor market rigidities. A micro data set with individual data is then used to highlight key structural problems that affect labor supply and demand. The implications of these different strands of empirical analysis for the formulation and effective implementation of labor market policy are then discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 98/42.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniele CHECCHI & Laura PAGANI, 2004.
"The effects of unions on wage inequality. The Italian case in the 1990's,"
Departmental Working Papers, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at UniversitÃ degli Studi di Milano
2004-29, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Checchi Daniele & Pagani Laura, 2005. "The effects of unions on wage inequality. The Italian case in the 1990s," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 43-70.
- Checchi, Daniele & Pagani, Laura, 2004. "The Effects of Unions on Wage Inequality: The Italian Case in the 1990s," IZA Discussion Papers 1385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Frank Westermann, 2000.
CESifo Working Paper Series
378, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francesco Pastore & Izabela Marcinkowska, 2004. "The Gender Wage Gap Among Young People in Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 82, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Loïc Cadiou & Stéphanie Guichard, 1999. "Marchés du travail en Europe : Quelles conséquences pour l'Union Monétaire," Working Papers 1999-10, CEPII research center.
- Basile, Roberto & Padoa Schioppa, Fiorella Kostoris, 2002. "Unemployment Dynamics of the 'Mezzogiornos of Europe': Lessons for the Mezzogiorno of Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.