Monetary Policy in the Aftermath of Currency Crisis
AbstractThis paper evaluates monetary policy and its relationship with the exchange rate in five Asian crisis countries. The findings are compared with previous currency crises in recent history. The paper finds no evidence of overly tight monetary policy in the Asian crisis countries in 1997 and early 1998, nor evidence that high interest rates led to weaker exchange rates. The usual trade-off between inflation and output when raising interest rates suggested the need for a softer monetary policy in the crisis countries to combat recession. However, in some countries, corporate balance sheet considerations called for the reversal of overly depreciated currencies through firmer monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 98/170.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2004.
"A corporate balance-sheet approach to currency crises,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 6-30, November.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2001. "A Corporate Balance-Sheet Approach to Currency Crises," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP), UniversitÃ© de Lausanne, FacultÃ© des HEC, DEEP 01.14, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001. "A Corporate Balance Sheet Approach to Currency Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3092, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2001. "A corporate Balance-Sheet Approach to Currency Crises," Working Papers 01.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Goderis, Benedikt, 2002.
"Financial Crises, Monetary Policy and Financial Fragility; A Second-Generation Model of Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
3637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Goderis, B., 2002. "Financial crises, monetary policy and financial fragility: A second-generation model of currency crises," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152957, Tilburg University.
- Inci Gumus, 2002. "Effects of the Interest Rate Defense on Exchange Rates During the 1994 Crisis in Turkey," Working Papers 0214, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Wai Ching Poon, 2010. "Testing Transmission Mechanisms on Economic Growth in Malaysia," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series, Monash University, Department of Economics 26-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Kim, Jung-Kwan & Ratti, Ronald A., 2006. "Economic activity, foreign exchange rate, and the interest rate during the Asian crisis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 387-402, May.
- Gochoco-Bautista, Maria Socorro & Bautista, Carlos C., 2005. "Monetary policy and exchange market pressure: The case of the Philippines," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 153-168, March.
- Baak, SaangJoon, 2012. "Measuring misalignments in the Korean exchange rate," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 227-234.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2000.
"Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis Identification Through Heteroscedasticity,"
Discussion Papers in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Leicester
00/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Feb 2002.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cipollini, Andrea & Demetriades, Panicos O., 2005. "Monetary policy and the exchange rate during the Asian crisis: identification through heteroscedasticity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-53, February.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Andrea Cipollini & Panicos Demetriades, 2003. "Monetary Policy and the Exchange Rate During the Asian Crisis: Identification Through Heteroscedasticity," CEIS Research Paper, Tor Vergata University, CEIS 23, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Lee, Ki Seong & Yoon, Seok, 2007. "Interrelationships and volatility of the financial asset prices under capital flows: The case of Korea," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 386-397, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.