Inflation, Uncertainty, and Growth in Colombia
AbstractIt has been argued that higher levels of inflation lead to greater uncertainty about future inflation and to greater dispersion of relative prices. In either case, inflation could reduce the efficiency of market prices in coordinating economic activities. This paper shows that the rise of inflation in Colombia, from low levels in the 1950s to average rates of 18–22 percent since the 1970s, has been accompanied by increased uncertainty and relative price dispersion; and that inflation has had a negative and persistent effect on real GDP growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 98/161.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcelo Ochoa & Walter Orellana Rocha, 2002.
"Una aproximación no lineal a la relación inflación - crecimiento económico: Un estudio para América Latina,"
Revista de Análisis del BCB, Banco Central de Bolivia,
Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 5(2), pages 87-126, December.
- Marcelo Ochoa & Walter Orellana, 2002. "Una Aproximación No Lineal A La Relación Inflación– Crecimiento Económico: Un Estudio Para América Latina," GE, Growth, Math methods, EconWPA 0211003, EconWPA.
- Sergio Clavijo, 2000. "Reflexiones Sobre Política Monetaria E "Inflación Objetivo" En Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003423, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- María Lorena Marí del Cristo & Marta Gómez-Puig, 2012.
"“Pass-through in dollarized countries: should Ecuador abandon the U.S. Dollar?”,"
IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics
201216, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2012.
- María Lorena Marí Del Cristo & Marta Gómez-Puig, 2013. "Pass-through in dollarized countries: should Ecuador abandon the US dollar?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(31), pages 4395-4411, November.
- Isabel Ruiz, 2005. "Empirical analysis on the real effects of inflation and exchange rate uncertainty: The case of Colombia," International Finance, EconWPA 0511006, EconWPA.
- Sergio Clavijo, . "Reflexiones Sobre Política Monetaria e "Inflación Objetivo" en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 141, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Sweidan, O.D., 2004. "Does Inflation Harm Economic Growth in Jordan?. An Econometric Analysis for the Period 1970-2000," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(2), pages 41-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.