The East Asian Crisis
AbstractThis paper reviews macroeconomic developments during the first year of the crisis in east Asia and draws some preliminary policy lessons. The crisis is rooted in the interaction of large capital inflows and weak private and public sector governance. At the same time, macroeconomic adjustment in these countries has resulted in some surprising outcomes, including severe economic contractions, low inflation, and rapid external adjustment. The lessons for crisis resolution include the importance of tight monetary policy early on for exchange rate stabilization, flexible fiscal policy, and comprehensive structural reform. Crises are avoided by prudent macroeconomic policies, diligent bank supervision, transparent data dissemination, strong governance, and forward-looking policymaking, even in good times.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 98/128.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela Kaminsky & Saul Lizondo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1995.
"Capital Flows in the APEC Region,"
8200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Marcus Noland & Li-Gang Liu & Sherman Robinson, 1998.
"Global Economic Effects of the Asian Currency Devaluations,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa56, November.
- Marcus Noland & Li-Gang Liu & Sherman Robinson, 1998. "Global Economic Effects of the Asian Currency Devaluations," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa56.
- Alwyn Young, 1993. "Lessons from the East Asian NICs: A Contrarian View," NBER Working Papers 4482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan G. Ahearne & John G. Fernald & Prakash Loungani, 2001. "Countering contagion: Does China's experience offer a blueprint?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 38-52.
- Nur Keyder, 2003. "The Story of a Stabilization Effort: Turkey (2000-2002)," ERC Working Papers 0305, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised May 2003.
- Baig, Taimur & Goldfajn, Ilan, 2002.
"Monetary Policy in the Aftermath of Currency Crises: The Case of Asia,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 92-112, February.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Taimur Baig, 1999. "Monetary policy in the aftermath of currency crisis: the case of Asia," Textos para discussÃ£o 399, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2003.
"Did Output Recover From the Asian Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2014.
"Two Tales of Adjustment: East Asian Lessons for European Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
19840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2014. "Two Tales of Adjustment: East Asian Lessons for European Growth," Working Papers 14-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Cerra, Valerie & Saxena, Sweta Chaman, 2002. "Contagion, Monsoons, and Domestic Turmoil in Indonesia's Currency Crisis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 36-44, February.
- Pierre L. Siklos & Diana N. Weymark, 2007. "Is Sterilized Intervention Effective? New International Evidence," Working Papers 142007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Ashok Vir Bhatia, 2002. "Sovereign Credit Ratings Methodology," IMF Working Papers 02/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Duncan, Ronald C. & Yang, Yongzheng, 2000. "The impact of the Asian Crisis on Australia's primary exports: why it wasn't so bad," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(3), September.
- Plummer, Michael G. & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2007.
"The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
9, Asian Development Bank.
- Michael G. Plummer & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2006. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 107, pages 59-85.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2007. "The Post-Crisis Sequencing of Economic Integration in Asia: Trade as a Complement to a Monetary Future," Working Paper Series 12-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Christian Jochum & Gebhard Kirchgässner & Mariusz Platek, 1999. "A long-run relationship between Eastern European stock markets? Cointegration and the 1997/98 crisis in emerging markets," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 454-479, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.