AbstractAll advanced economies have experienced a secular decline in the share of manufacturing employment—a phenomenon referred to as deindustrialization. This paper argues that, contrary to popular perceptions, deindustrialization is not a negative phenomenon, but is the natural consequence of the industrial dynamism in an already developed economy, and that North-South trade has had very little to do with deindustrialization. The paper also discusses the implications of deindustrialization for the growth prospects and the nature of labor market arrangements in the advanced economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 97/42.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blum, Bernardo S., 2008. "Trade, technology, and the rise of the service sector: The effects on US wage inequality," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 441-458, March.
- Dodzin, Sergei & Vamvakidis, Athanasios, 2004. "Trade and industrialization in developing economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 319-328, October.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004.
"Fear of China: Is There a Future for Manufacturing in Latin America?,"
45778, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mesquita Moreira, Mauricio, 2007. "Fear of China: Is There a Future for Manufacturing in Latin America?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 355-376, March.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2006. "Fear of China : is there a future for manufacturing in Latin America ?," INTAL Working Papers 1278, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004. "Fear of China: Is there a future for manufacturing in Latin America?," Development and Comp Systems 0412008, EconWPA.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2011.
"The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 401-421.
- S. Montresor & G. Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7," Working Papers 622, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Mihkel Laan, 2003. "Industrial restructuring in transitional Baltic Sea Region countries (Baltic States, Kaliningrad oblast)," ERSA conference papers ersa03p505, European Regional Science Association.
- Jan J. Rutkowski & Stefano Scarpetta, 2005. "Enhancing Job Opportunities : Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7408, October.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2000.
"Must the growth rate decline? Baumol's unbalanced growth revisited,"
Bank of England working papers
107, Bank of England.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 2001. "Must the Growth Rate Decline? Baumol's Unbalanced Growth Revisited," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 605-27, October.
- Berthold, Norbert & Stettes, Oliver, 2000. "Globalisierung und Strukturwandel - droht das Ende des Sozialstaates," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche BeitrÃ¤ge 35, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Lehrstuhl für Volkswirtschaftslehre, insbes. Wirtschaftsordnung und Sozialpolitik.
- Tonus, Özgür, 2007.
"Gümrük Birliği sonrasında Türkiye'de dışa açıklık ve sanayileşme
[Openness and industrialization in Turkey after the Customs Union]," MPRA Paper 7121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lavopa, Alejandro & Szirmai, Adam, 2012. "Industrialization, employment and poverty," MERIT Working Papers 081, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Grömling, Michael, 2005. "Sinn und Unsinn von Quoten auf Basis von preisbereinigten Werten," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 50, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2008. "Has health capital formation cured ‘Baumol’s Disease’? – Panel Granger causality evidence for OECD countries," KOF Working papers 08-206, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Kurose, Kazuhiro, 2009. "The relation between the speed of demand saturation and the dynamism of the labour market," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 151-159, June.
- Groot, H.L.F. de, 1998. "The Determination and Development of Sectoral Structure," Discussion Paper 1998-125, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Klodt, Henning, 2004. "Strukturwandel und Arbeitsmarktprobleme in Deutschland," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3372, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sasaki, Hiroaki, 2007. "The rise of service employment and its impact on aggregate productivity growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 438-459, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.