Capital Inflows and the Real Exchange Rate
AbstractThis paper examines the links between capital inflows and the real exchange rate under pegged exchange rates. The analytical framework is described, and a near-VAR model linking capital inflows, interest rate differentials, government spending, money base velocity, and the temporary component of the real exchange rate (TCRER) is estimated for Korea, Mexico, the Philippines, and Thailand. TCRER movements are associated only weakly with shocks to capital flows. Negative shocks to U.S. interest rates lead to capital inflows in Asia and a TCRER appreciation in the Philippines and Thailand. Positive shocks to government spending have a small but statistically significant effect on the TCRER for Korea.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 96/137.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramon Moreno, 1999. "Depreciation and recessions in East Asia," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 27-40.
- Juthathip Jongwanich, 2006. "Exchange Rate Regimes, Capital Account Opening and Real Exchange Rates: Evidence from Thailand," Departmental Working Papers 2006-01, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Claudia M. Buch & Lusine Lusinyan, 2000. "Determinants of Short-Term Debt," Kiel Working Papers 994, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Camille Baulant & Virginie Coudert & Michel Aglietta, 1999.
"Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe centrale,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1221-1236.
- Camille Baulant & Michel Aglietta & Virginie Coudert, 1999. "Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe centrale," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 50(6), pages 1221-1236.
- Michel Aglietta & Camille Baulant & Virginie Coudert, 1998. "Compétitivité et régime de change en Europe Centrale," Working Papers 1998-10, CEPII research center.
- Filer, Larry II, 2004. "Large capital inflows to Korea: the traditional developing economy story?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 99-110, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.