Inflation and Stabilization in Transition Economies
AbstractA simple model is developed to understand inflationary pressures and stabilization in nonmarket economies. In light of the model, the paper reviews the inflation and stabilization experiences of several transition economies in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. These experiences are then compared to those of high inflation market economies. The paper concludes that, despite significant differences in the economic structure and institutional framework, the inflation and stabilization experiences in transition and market economies are similar in many respects. In particular, monetary accommodation and lack of fiscal discipline are critical in sustaining inflation, and exchange rate-based anchors seem more successful than money anchors in bringing down inflation. On the other hand, wage policies appear to be more critical in reigning inflation in transition economies than in market economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 95/8.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1995. "Dollarization in transition economies: Evidence and policy implications," MPRA Paper 20490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Melo, Martha & Denizer, Cevdet, 1997. "Monetary policy during transition : an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1706, The World Bank.
- Ariane TICHIT MINISCLOUX, 1997.
"Reprise économique dans les pays post-communistes: application d'un modèle de durée,"
- Ariane Tichit, 1998. "Reprise économique dans les pays post-communistes : application d'un modèle de durée," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 136(5), pages 73-92.
- Cevdet Denizer & Holger C. Wolf, 2000.
"The Saving Collapse during the Transition in Eastern Europe,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(3), pages 445-455, September.
- Denizer, Cevdet & Wolf, Holger C., 2000. "The savings collapse during the transition in Eastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2419, The World Bank.
- Gillman, Max & Nakov, Anton, 2005.
"Granger Causality of the Inflation-Growth Mirror in Accession Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4845, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Max Gillman & Anton Nakov, 2004. "Granger causality of the inflation-growth mirror in accession countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 653-681, December.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen & Nina Budina, 1999.
"Inflation Stabilization, Fiscal Deficits and Public Debt Management in Poland,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-022/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder & Budina, Nina, 2001. "Inflation Stabilization, Fiscal Deficits, and Public Debt Management in Poland," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 293-309, June.
- Denizer, Cevdet, 1997. "Stabilization, adjustment, and growth prospects in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1855, The World Bank.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Lücke, Matthias & Brücker, Herbert & Engerer, Hella & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Weißenburger, Ulrich & Gabrisch, Huber, 1995.
"Die wirtschaftliche Lage Rußlands: Kurswechsel in der Stabilisierungspolitik. Siebenter Bericht, Teil I,"
Kiel Discussion Papers
262, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Lücke, Matthias & Brücker, Herbert & Engerer, Hella & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Weißenburger, Ulrich & Gabrisch, Huber, 1995. "Die wirtschaftliche Lage Rußlands: Kurswechsel in der Stabilisierungspolitik. Siebenter Bericht, Teil I," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 873, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Payne, James E., 2002. "Inflationary dynamics of a transition economy: the Croatian experience," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 219-230, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.