The Impact of Controlson Capital Movementson the Private Capital Accounts of Countries' Balance of Payments
AbstractThis paper reports research on the impact of controls on capital movements on the private capital accounts of countries’ balance of payments using data drawn from 52 countries for the period 1985-92. The results indicate that: (1) capital controls operated by developing countries have not been effective in insulating the private capital accounts of these countries’ balance of payments, and (2) capital controls operated by industrial countries significantly affected the structure of their capital flows mainly by inhibiting net foreign direct and portfolio investment outflows. The results, which are consistent with other observations, raise issues for the policy toward the maintenance and liberalization of controls on capital movements by developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/78.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Natalia Tamirisa, 2003.
"Trade in Financial Services and Capital Movements,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, August.
- Sweta Saxena & Kar-yiu Wong, 1999.
"Currency Crises and Capital Control: A Survey,"
0045, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Sweta Saxena & Kar-yiu Wong, 1999. "Currency Crises and Capital Control: A Survey," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0045, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Moore, Winston, 2010. "Managing the Process of Removing Capital Controls: What Does the Literature Suggest?," MPRA Paper 21584, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcin Gruszczyński, 2003. "The Directions of Misinvoicing in the Trade of Poland and the Czech Republic with the Main Partners from the European Union," Ekonomia journal, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw, vol. 9.
- Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"The Influence of Capital Controls on Long Run Growth: Where and How Much?,"
- Chanda, Areendam, 2005. "The influence of capital controls on long run growth: Where and how much?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 441-466, August.
- V.R. Prabhakaran Nair, 2010. "Determinants of Fixed Investment:A Study of Indian Private Corporate Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers id:3175, eSocialSciences.
- Ramkishen Rajan, 2010. "Sand in the Wheels of International Finance: Revisiting the Debate in Light of the East Asian Mayhem," Working Papers id:2686, eSocialSciences.
- Katarzyna Dąbrowska & Marcin Gruszczyński, 2002. "Transfer Evaluation, Incomes Transfer and Other Aspects of the Internationalisation of Enterprises," Ekonomia journal, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw, vol. 5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.