Searching for the Virtues of the European Model
AbstractThe distributional effects of the minimum wage are analyzed in a model where skilled and unskilled labor enter the production function. It is argued that distributional goals are best achieved by letting the labor market clear and achieving redistribution through taxes and transfers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/46.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fuest, Clemens & Thum, Marcel, 2001.
"Immigration and skill formation in unionised labour markets,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 557-573, September.
- Clemens Fuest & Marcel Thum, 1999. "Immigration and Skill Formation in Unionised Labour Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 214, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans Gersbach & Achim Schniewind, 1999.
"Imperfect Competition, General Equilibrium and Unemployment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
224, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2008. "Imperfect competition, general equilibrium and unemployment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1381-1398, May.
- Hans Gersbach, 1999. "Product market competition, unemployment and income disparities," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 221-240, June.
- Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine, 2007. "Minimum Wages and the Welfare of Workers in Honduras," IZA Discussion Papers 2892, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2005.
"Awareness of General Equilibrium Effects and Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5012, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gersbach, Hans & Schniewind, Achim, 2001. "Awareness of General Equilibrium Effects and Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 394, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.