AbstractThis paper discusses five indicators of competitiveness: real exchange rates based on consumer price indices, export unit values of manufacturing goods, the relative price of traded to nontraded goods, normalized unit labor costs in manufacturing, and the ratio of normalized unit labor costs to value-added deflators in manufacturing. It discusses how each of these measures is associated with changes in a country’s balance of trade in goods and nonfactor services and examines the relationship among these indicators. It then examines the empirical performance of three of the indicators in terms of their ability to explain trade flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/29.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bogetic, Zeljko & Espina, Carlos & Noer, John, 2007. "Cote d'Ivoire : competitiveness, Cocoa, and the real exchange rate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4416, The World Bank.
- Carlos Huertas Campos & Consuelo Villalba Torres & Julián Parra, 2004.
"Índice De Competitividad Colombiana Con Terceros Países En El Mercado Estadounidense (Itcr-C),"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002836, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos A.Huertas Campos & Consuelo Villalba Torres & Julián A.Parra Polanía, . "Índice de Competitividad Colombiana con Terceros Países en el Mercado Estadounidense (ITCR-C)," Borradores de Economia 273, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Tunisia's Experience with Real Exchange Rate Targeting and the Transition to a Flexible Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 02/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli & Sweta C. Saxena, 2003.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(2), pages 173-193.
- Eckhard Siggel, 2006. "International Competitiveness and Comparative Advantage: A Survey and a Proposal for Measurement," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 137-159, June.
- Dominique Peters, 2010. "Price Competitiveness in Central and Eastern Europe - a case study for transition economies," IMK Studies 01-2010, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Luc Eyraud, 2009. "Madagascar," IMF Working Papers 09/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Charalambos G. Tsangarides & Gustavo Ramirez, 2007. "Competitiveness in the CFA Franc Zone," IMF Working Papers 07/212, International Monetary Fund.
- DeLisle Worrell, 2003. "A Currency Union for the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 03/35, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.