A Monetary Impulse Measure for Medium-Term Policy Analysis
AbstractThe paper presents a measure of monetary impulse that is intended to reflect the medium-term inflationary implications of a nation’s current monetary policy. The measure consists of the growth rate of the monetary base, adjusted for reserve requirement changes and augmented by an implicit forecast of future growth rates of base velocity. Time series plots of the impulse measure for the G-7 countries are presented, and are compared with plots of inflation and of two alternative monetary indicators—the yield curve slope and the growth rate of a broad monetary aggregate. The impulse measure serves well as a medium-term indicator of future inflation, and on balance matches or outperforms the alternative indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/146.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 2001.
"Retail sweep programs and bank reserves, 1994-1999,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 51-72.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 2000. "Retail sweep programs and bank reserves, 1994--1999," Working Papers 2000-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Mehrotra, Aaron & Sánchez-Fung, José R., 2011.
"Assessing McCallum and Taylor rules in a cross-section of emerging market economies,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 207-228, April.
- Mehrotra, Aaron & Sánchez-Fung, José R., 2009. "Assessing McCallum and Taylor rules in a cross-section of emerging market economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 23/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Armine Khachatryan & David A. Grigorian & Grigor Sargsyan, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Money, and Wages," IMF Working Papers 04/229, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.