The Payments Systems Reforms and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies in Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThe paper discusses the interrelationships between payments system reform and monetary policy implementation in selected countries in Central and Eastern Europe. The reforms in the payments system are viewed as closely interrelated with the development of money and foreign exchange markets and the instruments of monetary policy used by the central banks. Large and variable float balances created special challenges. The paper shows that while departing from very similar origins, there were significant variations in experiences of the countries studied in transforming their payments systems after the start of the reforms towards a market economy, from which certain lessons can be drawn.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/13.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bas Aarle & Nina Budina, 1997. "Financial repression, money growth, and seignorage: The Polish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(4), pages 683-707, December.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2009.
"Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation,"
Bank of England working papers
371, Bank of England.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2012. "Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 359-382.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2010. "Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5445, The World Bank.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koop, Michael J. & Schweickert, Rainer & Wolf, Hartmut, 1995. "Währungsreformen im Vergleich : monetäre Strategien in Rußland, Weißrußland, Estland und der Ukraine," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 831, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Loretan, Mico, 1996. "Economic models of systemic risk in financial systems," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 147-152.
- Schoors, Koen, 2003. "The effect of Soviet monetary disintegration on the collapse of trade between members of the Commonwealth of Independent States," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-26, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.