The Payments Systems Reforms and Monetary Policy in Emerging Market Economies in Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThe paper discusses the interrelationships between payments system reform and monetary policy implementation in selected countries in Central and Eastern Europe. The reforms in the payments system are viewed as closely interrelated with the development of money and foreign exchange markets and the instruments of monetary policy used by the central banks. Large and variable float balances created special challenges. The paper shows that while departing from very similar origins, there were significant variations in experiences of the countries studied in transforming their payments systems after the start of the reforms towards a market economy, from which certain lessons can be drawn.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 94/13.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2012.
"Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 359-382.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2009. "Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation," Bank of England working papers, Bank of England 371, Bank of England.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Nier, Erlend, 2010. "Payment systems, inside money and financial intermediation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5445, The World Bank.
- Bas Aarle & Nina Budina, 1997. "Financial repression, money growth, and seignorage: The Polish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 133(4), pages 683-707, December.
- Loretan, Mico, 1996. "Economic models of systemic risk in financial systems," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 147-152.
- Schoors, Koen, 2003. "The effect of Soviet monetary disintegration on the collapse of trade between members of the Commonwealth of Independent States," Economic Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koop, Michael J. & Schweickert, Rainer & Wolf, Hartmut, 1995. "Währungsreformen im Vergleich : monetäre Strategien in Rußland, Weißrußland, Estland und der Ukraine," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW) 831, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.