French-German Interest Rate Differentials and Time-Varying Realignment Risk
AbstractThis paper explores the determinants of expected rates of realignment of the French franc/Deutsche mark exchange rate during the period 1987-1991. It does so by first estimating expected parity changes and then relating these to economic variables that are believed to influence agents’ realignment expectations. Time-varying expected rates of realignment are estimated in two ways: one, by adjusting short-term euromarket interest rate differentials for the expected rate of change of the FF/DM exchange rate within the EMS fluctuation band and two, by the differential in the yield on long-term government bonds. The behavior of the exchange rate within the band is found to be consistent with mean reversion and the expected change is nontrivial. Thus, by filtering out the expected mean reversion within the band from short-term interest rate differentials more precise measures of expected changes in the central parity are obtained. Realignment expectations are found to be closely related to the evolution of fundamental economic variables and, for shorter horizons, the position of the franc in the fluctuation band.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 93/1.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jerome Henry & Jens Weidmann, 2005. "The French-German Interest Rate Differential Since German," International Finance, EconWPA 0503009, EconWPA.
- Peria, Maria Soledad Martinez, 1999. "A regime - switching approach to studying speculative attacks : focus on European Monetary System crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2132, The World Bank.
- Olivier Jeanne, 1996. "Les modèles de crise de change : un essai de synthèse en relation avec la crise du franc de 1992-1993," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 123(2), pages 147-162.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Macdonald, Ronald & Oliver, Michael J., 2009.
"Sterling in crisis, 1964–1967,"
European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 437-459, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:6:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre Siklos & Rod Tarajos, 1996. "Fundamentals and devaluation expectations in target zones: Some new evidence from the ERM," Open Economies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 35-59, January.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Sideris, Dimitris A. & Voumvaki, Fragiska K., 2005.
"Testing long-run purchasing power parity under exchange rate targeting,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 959-981, October.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Dimitris A. Sideris & Fragiska K. Voumvaki, 2004. "Testing Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity under Exchange Rate Targeting," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 15, Bank of Greece.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- Peter Tillmann, 2001.
"The Regime-Dependent Determination of Credibility: A New Look at European Interest Rate Differentials,"
IWP Discussion Paper Series, Institute for Economic Policy, Cologne, Germany
02/2001, Institute for Economic Policy, Cologne, Germany.
- Peter Tillmann, 2003. "The Regime-Dependent Determination of Credibility: A New Look at European Interest Rate Differentials," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 409-431, November.
- Elias Belessakos & Michael Papaioannou, 1996. "Simple credibility tests of the ERM bands for the pound sterling and the Italian lira," Open Economies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 219-236, July.
- Chen, Zhaohui & Giovannini, Alberto, 1997. "The determinants of realignment expectations under the EMS: Some empirical regularities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1687-1707, December.
- Andrea Cipollini & Kostas Mouratidis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2008.
"Evaluating currency crises: the case of the European monetary system,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 11-27, August.
- Kostas Mouratidis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2004. "Evaluating currency crises: the case of the European Monetary System," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003, Money Macro and Finance Research Group 69, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.