Using An EC-Wide Monetary Aggregate in Stage Two of EMU
AbstractThis paper looks at whether the aggregate ERM money supply has been a useful predictor of short-term changes in inflation and growth, and long-term trends in price levels among the core ERM countries. The evidence suggests that over the period since 1987, when there have been no realignments, the ERM money supply performs at least as well, and arguably better, than the individual national aggregates in predicting nominal aggregates such as inflation and the price level, while neither money supply is a good predictor of real activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 92/56.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003.
"Currency substitution and money demand in Euroland,"
NIPE Working Papers
11/2003, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2006. "Currency Substitution and Money Demand in Euroland," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(3), pages 275-287, September.
- Ivo Arnold, 1996. "Fallacies in the interpretation of a european monetary aggregate," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 753-762, December.
- Renato Filosa, 1995. "Money demand stability and currency substitution in six European countries (1980-1992)," BIS Working Papers 30, Bank for International Settlements.
- Alberto Giovannini & Bart Turtelboom, 1992. "Currency Substitution," NBER Working Papers 4232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.