Real Exchange Rate Targeting Under Capital Controls: Can Money Provide a Nominal Anchor?
AbstractThe issue of whether the money supply can serve as a nominal anchor for the domestic price level under real exchange rate targeting is examined. When capital controls are perfect, so that there is complete separation between official and unofficial foreign exchange markets, the domestic inflation rate can be stabilized, but only at the expense of a widening gap between official and parallel market exchange rates. When cross-transactions between the two markets are permitted, the domestic inflation rate cannot be stabilized either in the short run or the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 91/68.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Peter J. Montiel & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1992. "Real Exchange Rate Targeting under Capital Controls: Can Money Provide a Nominal Anchor?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 58-78, March.
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994.
"Targeting the Real Exchange Rate: Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden & Piero Ghezzi, 2000. "Politics and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Approach to Latin America," Research Department Publications 3119, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"La tasa de cambio real como meta de política: teoría y evidencia
[Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence]," MPRA Paper 13468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M Reinhart & Guillermo A Calvo & Carlos Vegh, 1994. "La Tasa De Cambio Real Como Meta De Política Teoría Y Evidencia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Aivazian, Sergei & Stepanov, Vladimir & Kozlova, Maria, 2006. "Measuring the Synthetic Categories of Quality of Life in a Region and Identification of Main Trends to Improve the Social and Economic Policy (Samara Region and its Constituent Territories)," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 2(2), pages 18-84.
- Shulgin, Andrey, 2006. "The Russian Foreign Exchange Policy on the Wave of Crisis Cycle," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 4(4), pages 18-48.
- Erol, Turan & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1997. "Real exchange rate targeting and inflation in Turkey: An empirical analysis with policy credibility," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1717-1730, October.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate," MPRA Paper 13765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marla Ripoll, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Targeting, Macroeconomic Performance and Sectoral Income Distribution in Developing Countries," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 167-196.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.