Testing for Credibility Effects
AbstractThis paper examines some recent techniques designed to draw inferences about the credibility of changes in macroeconomic policy regimes. An alternative two-step approach, based on the decomposition between permanent and transitory components of a "credibility variable" is proposed. The methodology is then used to test for the existence of a credibility effect in the Cruzado stabilization plan implemented in Brazil in 1986.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 91/110.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hiemenz, Ulrich & Funke, Norbert, 1993. "The experience of developing countries with macroeconomic stabilisation and structural adjustment," Kiel Working Papers 606, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 1992.
"The timing of stabilizations,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
194, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- K. Rudgalvis, 1996. "Establishing a new currency and exchange rate determination: the case of Lithuania," CERT Discussion Papers 9604, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Myriam Quispe-Agnoli, 2003. "Stabilization programs and policy credibility: Peru in the 1990s," Working Paper 2003-40, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Robert Anderton, 1997. "Did the underlying behaviour of inflation change in the 1980s? A study of 17 countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 22-38, March.
- Athanasios Papadopoulos & Mo�se Sidiropoulos, . "Central Bank Independence, Exchange Rate Policy and Inflation Persistence Empirical Evidence on Selected EMU Countries," Working Papers 0107, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- de Mendonça, Helder Ferreira & de Guimarães e Souza, Gustavo José, 2009. "Inflation targeting credibility and reputation: The consequences for the interest rate," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1228-1238, November.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque & Solange Gouvea, 2005.
"Canaries and Vultures: A Quantitative History of Monetary Mismanagement in Brazil,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Albuquerque, Pedro H. & Gouvea, Solange, 2009. "Canaries and vultures: A quantitative history of monetary mismanagement in Brazil," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 479-495, April.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1992. "Exchange Rates as Nominal Anchors," NBER Working Papers 4246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Janvier Nkurunziza, 2004. "How Long Can Inflation Tax Compensate For The Loss Of Government Revenue In War Economies? Evidence From Burundi," Development and Comp Systems 0409065, EconWPA.
- Robert Anderton & Ray Barrell, 1995. "The ERM and structural change in European labour markets: A study of 10 countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 47-66, March.
- Giuseppe Tullio & Marcio Ronci, 1997. "Central Bank Autonomy, the Exchange Rate Constraint and Inflation: The Case of Italy, 1970â€“1992," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, January.
- Price, Simon, 1997. " Political Business Cycles and Macroeconomic Credibility: A Survey," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 92(3-4), pages 407-27, September.
- Carlos M. Asilis & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1993.
"Price Controls and Electoral Cycles,"
IMF Working Papers
93/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Júlio Cesar Albuquerque Bastos & Gabriel Caldas Montes, 2011. "Metasde Inflação E Estrutura A Termo Das Taxas De Juros - Uma Análise Dainfluência Da Credibilidade Sobre O Spread Da Taxa De Juros De Longoprazo No Brasil," Anais do XXXVIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 38th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 142, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Johannes Groeneveld & Kees Koedijk & Clemens Kool, 1998. "Inflation Dynamics and Monetary Strategies: Evidence from Six Industrialized Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Janvier Nkurunziza, 2004. "How long can inflation tax compensate for the loss Wof government revenue in war economics? Evidence from Burundi," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel Barros Tavares Peixoto & Gabriel Caldas Montes, 2014. "Risk-Taking Channel, Bank Lendingchannel And The “Paradox Of Credibility”: Empirical Evidence For Brazil," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 030, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Moise Sidiropoulos & Jamel Trabelsi & Costas Karfakis, 2005. "Has the 'franc fort' exchange rate policy affected the inflationary dynamics? Theory and new evidence," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 379-395.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.