Market Valuation Of Illiquid Debt And Implications For Conflicts Among Creditors
AbstractWe develop a formula for the market value of debt when the borrower's repayment capacity varies stochastically and shortfalls are rolled over. The value of a marginal dollar of nominal claim is an S-shaped function of the ratio of the repayment capacity to the amount of nominal debt. Shifts of this curve are examined in response to changes in the underlying parameters. The calculations bring out conflicts of interest among lenders of differing degrees of seniority. Most surprisingly, junior creditors gain when the loan is rescheduled on terms more favorable to the debtor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 90/88.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Bartolini & Avinash Dixit, 1991. "Market Valuation of Illiquid Debt and Implications for Conflicts among Creditors," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 828-849, December.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999.
"Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill,"
Working Paper Series
WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-62, January.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CSGR Working papers series 35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Michael P. Dooley & Mark R. Stone, 1992.
"Endogenous Creditor Seniority and External Debt Values,"
IMF Working Papers
92/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Dooley & Mark R. Stone, 1993. "Endogenous Creditor Seniority and External Debt Values," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 395-413, June.
- Michael Dooley & Mark R. Stone, 1992. "Endogenous Creditor Seniority and External Debt Values," NBER Working Papers 4172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens, Stijn & Pennacchi, George, 1992. "Deriving developing country repayment capacity from the market prices of sovereign debt," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1043, The World Bank.
- Michael Bowe & James W. Dean, 1997. "Debt-equity swaps and the enforcement of sovereign loan contracts," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 59-83.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1996. "The sustainability of African debt," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1621, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Pricing average price options for the 1990 Mexican and Venezuelan recapture clauses," Policy Research Working Paper Series 541, The World Bank.
- Sven Steinkamp & Frank Westermann, 2012.
"On Creditor Seniority and Sovereign Bond Prices in Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3944, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sven Steinkamp & Frank Westermann, 2012. "On Creditor Seniority and Sovereign Bond Prices in Europe," Working Papers 92, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
- Hayri, Aydin, 2000.
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 137-152, October.
- Hayri, Aydin, 1997. "Debt Relief," CEPR Discussion Papers 1701, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayri, A., 1996. "Debt Relief," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 459, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Loredana Ureche-Rangau & Kim Oosterlinck, 2005. "Entre la peste et le choléra : le détenteur d’obligations peut préférer la répudiation au défaut…," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 79(2), pages 309-331.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & Pierre Tychon, 1996.
"Default Risk in Asset Pricing,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp250, Financial Markets Group.
- Mella-Baral, Pierre & Tychon, Pierre, 1996. "Default risk in asset pricing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.