Real Money Investors and Sovereign Bond Yields
AbstractExperience from the global financial crisis suggests that countriesâ€™ borrowing costs are not solely determined by macro and fiscal fundamentals. Factors such as ownership structures of government securities, among others, also play a significant role. This paper investigates the effect of â€œreal money investorsâ€â€”domestic nonbanks and national and foreign central banksâ€”on bond yields for a sample of 45 advanced and emerging market economies. The results show that, while bond yields rise with the debt to GDP ratio, this increase is partly offset if this debt falls in the hands of real money investors. Nonetheless, for some countries there is the risk that such ownership structure could change over the long run, which would impose upward pressure on borrowing costs, especially where fiscal positions are weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 13/254.
Date of creation: 19 Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jochen R. Andritzky, 2012. "Government Bonds and their Investors," IMF Working Papers 12/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminska, Iryna & Vayanos, Dimitri & Zinna, Gabriele, 2011.
"Preferred-habitat investors and the US term structure of real rates,"
Bank of England working papers, Bank of England
435, Bank of England.
- Iryna Kaminska & Dimitri Vayanos & Gabriele Zinna, 2011. "Preferred-Habitat Investors and the US Term Structure of Real Rates," FMG Discussion Papers, Financial Markets Group dp674, Financial Markets Group.
- Daniel O. Beltran & Maxwell Kretchmer & Jaime Marquez & Charles P. Thomas, 2012.
"Foreign holdings of U.S. Treasuries and U.S. Treasury yields,"
International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
1041, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beltran, Daniel O. & Kretchmer, Maxwell & Marquez, Jaime & Thomas, Charles P., 2013. "Foreign holdings of U.S. Treasuries and U.S. Treasury yields," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 1120-1143.
- Richard Herd & Vincent Koen & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2011. "Financial Sector Reform in India: Time for a Second Wave?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 879, OECD Publishing.
- Thomas Laubach, 2003.
"New evidence on the interest rate effects of budget deficits and debt,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
2003-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thomas Laubach, 2009. "New Evidence on the Interest Rate Effects of Budget Deficits and Debt," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 7(4), pages 858-885, 06.
- Laura Jaramillo & Anke Weber, 2012. "Bond Yields in Emerging Economies," IMF Working Papers 12/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Laeven, Luc, 2011.
"The Flight Home Effect: Evidence from the Syndicated Loan Market During Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
8337, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannetti, Mariassunta & Laeven, Luc, 2012. "The flight home effect: Evidence from the syndicated loan market during financial crises," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 23-43.
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Vila, Jean-Luc, 2009.
"A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
7547, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jean-Luc Vila, 2009. "A preferred-habitat model of the term structure of interest rates," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 29308, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jean-Luc Vila, 2009. "A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 15487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Luc Vila & Dimitri Vayanos, 2009. "A Preferred-Habitat Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," FMG Discussion Papers, Financial Markets Group dp641, Financial Markets Group.
- António Afonso & Christophe Rault, 2010.
"Short and Long-run Behaviour of Long-term Sovereign Bond Yields,"
Working Papers Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon
2010/19, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Christophe Rault, 2010. "Short and Long-run Behaviour of Long-term Sovereign Bond Yields," CESifo Working Paper Series 3249, CESifo Group Munich.
- Iva Petrova & Michael G Papaioannou & Dimitri Bellas, 2010. "Determinants of Emerging Market Sovereign Bond Spreads," IMF Working Papers 10/281, International Monetary Fund.
- Vincent Reinhart & Brian Sack, 2000. "The Economic Consequences of Disappearing Government Debt," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(2), pages 163-220.
- Kiichi Tokuoka, 2010. "The Outlook for Financing Japan's Public Debt," IMF Working Papers 10/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2007. "The Demand for Treasury Debt," NBER Working Papers 12881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Serkan Arslanalp & Tigran Poghosyan, 2014. "Foreign Investor Flows and Sovereign Bond Yields in Advanced Economies," IMF Working Papers 14/27, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.