Is Labor Market Mismatch a Big Deal in Japan?
AbstractDespite its low unemployment rate, the recent shift in the Japanese Beveridge curve indicates increased labor mismatch. This paper quantifies the age, employment-type (full or part-time), and occupational mismatch in the Japanese labor market following Sahin and others (2013). Between April 2000 and April 2013, the age mismatch has steadily declined while the occupational and employmenttype mismatch has shown a countercyclical pattern, showing a sharp increase during the global financial crisis. Occupational mismatch accounted for approximtely 20-40 percent of the recent rise in the unemployment rate in Japan. The magnitude was comparable to that of the U.K. and the U.S.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 13/196.
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune, 2010.
"Employment protection versus flexicurity: on technology adoption in unionised firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7919, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume, 2012. "Employment Protection Versus Flexicurity: On Technology Adoption in Unionised Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(1), pages 177-199, 03.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume, 2008. "Employment Protection versus Flexicurity: On Technology Adoption in Unionised Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 2472, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel Borowczyk-Martins & Gregory Jolivet & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2013.
"Accounting For Endogeneity in Matching Function Estimation,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(3), pages 440-451, July.
- Daniel Borowczyk-Martins & Gregory Jolivet & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2012. "Code and data files for "Accounting For Endogeneity in Matching Function Estimation"," Computer Codes 11-211, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Davide Furceri & Lorenzo E. Bernal-Verdugo & Dominique M. Guillaume, 2012. "Crises, Labor Market Policy, and Unemployment," IMF Working Papers 12/65, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.