AbstractWe estimate a unified measure of inclusive growth for emerging markets by integrating their economic growth performance and income distribution outcomes, using data over three decades. Country distributions are calibrated by combining PPP GDP per capita and income distribution from survey data. We apply the microeconomic concept of a social mobility function at the macroeconomic level to measure inclusive growth that is closer to the absolute definition of pro-poor growth. This dynamic measure permits us to focus on inequality as well as distinguish between countries where per capita income growth was the same for the top and the bottom of the income pyramid, by accounting for the pace of growth. Our results indicate that macroeconomic stability, human capital, and structural changes are foundations for achieving inclusive growth. The role of globalization could also be positive with foreign direct investment and trade openess fostering greater inclusiveness, while financial deepening and technological change have no discernible effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 13/135.
Date of creation: 30 May 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mishra, Saurabh & Lundstrom, Susanna & Anand, Rahul, 2011. "Service export sophistication and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5606, The World Bank.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Lee, Minsoo & Park, Donghyun, 2012.
"The Relationship between Structural Change and Inequality: A Conceptual Overview with Special Reference to Developing Asia,"
ADBI Working Papers
396, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Joshua AIZENMAN & Minsoo LEE & Donghyun PARK, 2012. "The Relationship between Structural Change and Inequality: A Conceptual Overview with Special Reference to Developing Asia," Working Papers DP-2012-13, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2006. "The World Distribution of Income: Falling Poverty and ... Convergence, Period," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(2), pages 351-397, May.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Nicola Spatafora & Rahul Anand & Saurabh Mishra, 2012. "Structural Transformation and the sophistication of Production," IMF Working Papers 12/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Aart Kraay, 2004.
"When is Growth Pro-Poor? Cross-Country Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
04/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 2003. "The Empirics of Growth: An Update," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 113-206.
- Daron Acemoglu & David Autor, 2010.
"Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings,"
NBER Working Papers
16082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Autor, David, 2011. "Skills, Tasks and Technologies: Implications for Employment and Earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Kossi ASSIMAIDOU & Youssouf KIENDREBEOGO & Abdoulaye TALL, 2013.
"Social Protection for Poverty Reduction in Times of Crisis,"
- Youssouf KIENDREBEOGO & Abdoulaye TALL & Kossi ASSIMAIDOU, 2013. "Social Protection for Poverty Reduction in Times of Crisis," Working Papers 201311, CERDI.
- Temel Taskin, 2014.
"GDP Growth in Turkey : Inclusive or Not?,"
1408, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Winters, L. Alan, 2014.
"Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth,"
ADBI Working Papers
464, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- L. Alan Winters, 2014. "Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 23974, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- L. Alan Winters, 2014. "Globalization, Infrastructure, and Inclusive Growth," Trade Working Papers 23974, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.