Narrowing Vertical Fiscal Imbalances in Four European Countries
AbstractThis paper describes the institutional changes that have induced a decline in the vertical fiscal imbalance (VFI) - defined as the share of sub-national own spending not financed through own revenues - in four European countries: Belgium, Italy, Norway, and Spain. The decline in VFI was achieved through progressive devolution of revenues to sub-national governments in Belgium, Italy, and Spain, while re-centralization of health sector expenditures was the cause of the decline in the VFI in Norway.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 12/91.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-04-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-04-23 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Eyraud & Lusine Lusinyan, 2011. "Decentralizing Spending More Than Revenue," IMF Working Papers 11/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillem López & Joan Costa-Font & Ivan Planas, 2004.
"Diversity and regional inequalities: Assessing the outcomes of the Spanish 'System of Health Care Services',"
Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics
745, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Guillem López & Joan Costa-Font & Ivan Planas, 2004. "Diversity and regional inequalities: Assessing the outcomes of the Spanish 'System of Health Care Services'," Economics Working Papers 745, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010.
"On the link between fiscal decentralization and public debt in OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 351-378, December.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2010. "On the Link Between Fiscal Decentralization and Public Debt in OECD Countries," MPRA Paper 21599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magnussen, Jon & Hagen, Terje P. & Kaarbøe, Oddvar M., 2006.
"Centralized or decentralized? A case study of Norwegian hospital reform,"
Working Papers in Economics
02/06, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Magnussen, Jon & Hagen, Terje P. & Kaarboe, Oddvar M., 2007. "Centralized or decentralized? A case study of Norwegian hospital reform," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(10), pages 2129-2137, May.
- Fiorino, Nadia & Ricciuti, Roberto, 2006.
"Legislature size and government spending in Italian regions: forecasting the effects of a reform,"
POLIS Working Papers
69, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Nadia Fiorino & Roberto Ricciuti, 2007. "Legislature size and government spending in Italian regions: Forecasting the effects of a reform," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 117-125, April.
- Isabelle Joumard & Tadashi Yokoyama, 2005. "Getting the Most Out of Public Sector Decentralisation in Japan," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 416, OECD Publishing.
- Molero, Juan Carlos, 2001. "Analysis Of The Decentralization Of Public Spending In Spain," MPRA Paper 8056, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isabelle Joumard & Claude Giorno, 2005. "Getting the Most Out of Public Sector Decentralisation in Spain," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 436, OECD Publishing.
- Roy Bahl & Sally Wallace, 2004. "Intergovernmental Transfers: The Vertical Sharing Dimension," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0419, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Maria Flavia Ambrosanio & Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia, 2008. "Constitutional reforms, fiscal decentralization and regional fiscal flows in Italy," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0084, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Lars-Erik Borge, 2006. "Centralized or decentralized financing of local governments? Consequences for efficiency and inequality of service provision," Working Paper Series 7806, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Eyraud, Luc & Lusinyan, Lusine, 2013. "Vertical fiscal imbalances and fiscal performance in advanced economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 571-587.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.